A Hair Product Thing

Talk about guy stuff...
mmm
FWG Mod

A Hair Product Thing

Postby mmm » 19 May 2015, 17:59

Seeing as you are all so jealous of my Jimmy Neutron hair, I figured I would provide some information on how to spruce up the hairstyles of the dudes on FWG. Unless they're already perfectly spruced, like pretty much every single picture that has been posted. Maybe you just want to try something new, then. I suppose the following information is applicable to girls as well.

Most guys' experience with hair product is with gel. Now, if gel does wonders for you, fantastic. But if you're like me and always either put too much in and your hair looks like a tarball or not enough and your styling disappears in a few hours, I would encourage you to try either mousse or paste/clay.

Mousse
What mousse (or its shinier counterpart, pomade) does is add a lot of volume and a small amount of hold to your hair. It is also extremely convenient to restyle, because after it dries, you can reactivate the mousse by wetting it slightly. As such, mousse is great for guys with thin hair who want to have more volume or those who don't want to have to spend all morning doing their hair and opt to simply hop in the bathroom every once in a while throughout the day to make adjustments. If you miss the shine gel gave you, you can always try pomade. I used some Perfect 10 mousse I found at a CVS.

In most cases, application is encouraged when your hair is slightly wet, so I would apply it after you get our of the shower and dry your hair with a towel. What you need to remember is to get at the roots of your hair with the product; don't worry so much about the rest of your hair. Otherwise, when you allow the product to dry and stiffen, it'll just make your hair crunchy instead of lifting it up (you can opt to use a hairdryer if you need to, but it is generally not encouraged). As always, start with small applications and work your way up. Be aware, It may be harder to gauge volumes with this product since it comes in a shaving cream-type form. If your hair is getting crunchy because your are overapplying the mousse but you still aren't getting enough hold, switch to paste or clay or try using a small amount of mousse for volume's sake in addition to different hair products.

Paste and Clay
Largely interchangeable, paste (sometimes shinier and with less hold than clay) and clay can oftentimes provide greater hold than some gel while leaving a matte, rather than shiny, finish to your hair. This stuff can be a real pain to get out, however. Use these products as substitutes for gel or if you can't get your hair to stay in a certain style and don't want to resort to heavy duty mohawk-level gel. I use Lock Stock and Barrel Disorder Ultra Matte clay (ordered online) and its hold is INSANE. Whereas my hairstyle would be gone by 3 o'clock in using other products, this one holds my hairstyle until I mess it up on the pillow when I go to sleep.

Most products encourage application when your hair is dry, so apply well after your shower in the morning. Your hair can be slightly damp, but be sure your hair is of the uniform wetness otherwise some parts of your hairstyle will stick while others won't. Be sure not to overdue the application or you'll be spending several minutes cursing with your head in the sink.

That's about it! Tell me if you want to know something else and let me know how these tips worked out for you.
Image For trying.

Dr Frook
FWG Mod

Re: A Hair Product Thing

Postby Dr Frook » 19 May 2015, 21:49

ur truly an odd one. I actually thought u had a wig on ;)
The BUGBLATTER BEAST HAS SPOKEN, ALL HAIL THE BLATTERER!

Shadowstar1922
I Shall Eatz You

Postby Shadowstar1922 » 19 May 2015, 22:30

lmao i honestly thought your jimmy neutron hair was a mess.

and who still uses mousse??

i really don't mean to be rude but if we're gonna talk about male fashion, i will be brutal.

Dr Frook
FWG Mod

Postby Dr Frook » 19 May 2015, 22:32

Shadowstar1922 wrote:lmao i honestly thought your jimmy neutron hair was a mess.

i really don't mean to be rude but if we're gonna talk about male fashion, i will be brutal.

u remind me of one of the Project Runway judges :P
The BUGBLATTER BEAST HAS SPOKEN, ALL HAIL THE BLATTERER!

mmm
FWG Mod

Postby mmm » 19 May 2015, 22:36

Shadowstar1922 wrote:lmao i honestly thought your jimmy neutron hair was a mess.

Sarcasm. And a bad picture angle, you should have seen the second angle. Besides, I never told anyone HOW to style their hair which is what you think I have a problem with.

Mousse is for people with thin hair, so I would think that people with thin hair still use mousse.

Be as brutal as you can be, because there is nothing to criticise when I suggest products and don't tell people how to actually dress their hair.
Image For trying.

The Divine Potato
The All Powerful FWGER
Location: Everywhere and nowhere doing everything and nothing

Postby The Divine Potato » 20 May 2015, 07:02

I use mousse
Image -Best Storyteller award

"You have to pass on the torch sometime, just make sure it's a light and not a disease"

Rainshard
FWG God

Postby Rainshard » 20 May 2015, 19:33

lel

Head and Shoulders shampoo and Head and Shoulders conditioner
2015 dad
2016 most likely to be a meme.

Shadowstar1922
I Shall Eatz You

Postby Shadowstar1922 » 20 May 2015, 23:28

mmm wrote:

Sarcasm. And a bad picture angle, you should have seen the second angle. Besides, I never told anyone HOW to style their hair which is what you think I have a problem with.

Mousse is for people with thin hair, so I would think that people with thin hair still use mousse.

Be as brutal as you can be, because there is nothing to criticise when I suggest products and don't tell people how to actually dress their hair.

Why are you getting mad? lol

chill bro.

mmm
FWG Mod

Postby mmm » 21 May 2015, 00:20

Shadowstar1922 wrote:
mmm wrote:

chill bro.

I'm not even mad d:
I was preparing for what I assumed you would turn into an argument requiring systematic refutations of everything you said.
Image For trying.

Shadowstar1922
I Shall Eatz You

Postby Shadowstar1922 » 22 May 2015, 18:49

mmm wrote:
Shadowstar1922 wrote:
mmm wrote:

chill bro.

I'm not even mad d:
I was preparing for what I assumed you would turn into an argument requiring systematic refutations of everything you said.

what no.

this is fashion and representation, not some political debate on effective economics and social policies

i promote the full freedom of self expression through lcothing, hait style, skin products, etc like damn as long as you're not hurting others be you.

i mean, i laugh at people who use mousse bc i hate the glissen look, you feel? the shiny look makes my stomach drop but if someone else likes it and wears it then i'm like h*ck yeah u do you rock it.

as much as I think a hairstyle or fashion choice is hilarious, I'm not against it, and i don't laugh at it to demoralize it or shame it. i laugh at it bc i think it's funny.

Also for the topic in general, there is this really cute youtube boy named BlueMaan who does rad videos about hair products and hair styles and cutting your hair, so if any of you human beings and dogs want to find other products (in case whatever reason general mousse and general clay doesn't work for you).

he does really good reviews and teaches you how to take care of ur hair.

Return to “Guy Chat”