The Cliches of Rp

This is for role-playing crazies out there. Battle one another to see who reigns supreme!
Zia-
Queen of the Pokefreaks

Re: The Cliches of Rp

Postby Zia- » 03 Sep 2014, 03:30

The Baconator wrote:Ulquiorra worship

im like the only person on the entire chat to worship Ulquie-senpai
Your skin like winter
I felt you shiver
I heard you whisper
But the Pills were quicker
I watched you wither
I am the KILLER

Tycoon
FWG Mod

Postby Tycoon » 16 Sep 2014, 15:47

The Divine Potato wrote:
Commanders of their element ty does air.

The 'playing it cool' type personality is kind of copy and pasted to nearly every character, nearly every one. i don't know about this one

The Batman-esque origins. Your character can have parents, but y'know not be seeing them, instead of being an orphan, the rp room ain't a youth hostile. my character has amnesia so she doesn't know much of her biological family

And it's getting older seeing soo many people with the ability to destroy the earth in a yawn basically. my character could. but, she'd die after, along with her friends.

prophet wrote:Turning into smoke to avoid confrontation My non-fighter character, Jalet, does this, since she's in a 16 year old body, she's technically 2, and has the mental age of a 9 year old

Being immune to physical blows and smirking afterwards. Depends on the physical blow, but my main character is always smirking during a fight.

"I only fight to protect my friends." my character's friends are literally 75% her storyline...

Having an inner demon/monster/entity that's evil.coupled with the amnesia and i rarely release lilitu.

Eyes that change colors. aside from the demon, ty isn't alone in her head. the eyes change colours depending on who is in control of the body - but so does the overall colouring of the body

Having a character that can turn into a child and then back into an adult. ty has a child form. she messed up her timeline. the child form is completely separate from ty, but can switch places...

Light speed travel. this one is only to explain the instant appearing in Africa when you were in England or whatever

Having diamond armor or weaponry. instead of steel-toed boots, ty has diamond-toed boots. it's a part of her land's culture, though

i reviewed my main rp character i generally use everywhere according to what matches.
Last edited by Tycoon on 12 Feb 2015, 21:03, edited 1 time in total.
Image FWG Potential Princess 2016

#FreeWorldFinder 2nd place in Scavenger Hunt
#3 in the Halloween competition
~ it's a perfect day / to float away ~

Demitri
FWG King
Location: Sitting in my cozy lil cabin...teaching swordsmanship and combusting nubs..

Postby Demitri » 16 Sep 2014, 19:58

exluding some things, this thread wraps Demitri up in a nutshell., as i said before.
Image Don't touch me family scrub
ImageBOOM GT OUT DA WAY

The Divine Potato
The All Powerful FWGER
Location: Everywhere and nowhere doing everything and nothing

Postby The Divine Potato » 05 Feb 2015, 21:00

Let's throw not having any organs onto the bump Fire, and yes, a brain is nescessary for further function as a sentient being, otherwise zombies would be unstopable.

I think we've found at least one that every rper is guilty of.

Oh, being any form of ruler, I know it's fun but it fits a cliche's definition.

Melee weapons in general I guess, I was chastised for using a gun and the one who I was arguing said 'archery', how many people use archery to do anything besides trick shot and murder a random person? Raise thy hand if that specific one doesn't apply to you and you use a bow.

Well I guess this is a Foop storyline kinda thing but pocket dimensions.

And on a related note Alice In Wonderland-esque settings, I know you edgy kids like the tea time scene and like to put your own twist on it but how many queen of hearts cards do you have up your sleeve?

And nothing against pokemon rpers, genuinely did it once myself but, yeah, that's a cliche too to be either a pokemon trainer/master or a pokemon.
Image -Best Storyteller award

"You have to pass on the torch sometime, just make sure it's a light and not a disease"

Rainshard
FWG God

Postby Rainshard » 05 Feb 2015, 21:17

Characters being psychopaths. I get it sometimes but when I say I witnessed Dimension slaughter an entire village and that left me shaken they respond with "lol I did that twice earliur today lol #NoGuilt"
2015 dad
2016 most likely to be a meme.

The Divine Potato
The All Powerful FWGER

Postby The Divine Potato » 05 Feb 2015, 21:24

Rainshard500 wrote:Characters being psychopaths. I get it sometimes but when I say I witnessed Dimension slaughter an entire village and that left me shaken they respond with "lol I did that twice earliur today lol #NoGuilt"

Agreed, then there is the usual "I witnessed my parent's deaths infront of me when I was a child" backstory to cover up for it.

"You have to pass on the torch sometime, just make sure it's a light and not a disease"

The Random Savior
FWG Prince

Postby The Random Savior » 05 Feb 2015, 22:21

prophet wrote:Having a katana with a poorly chosen Japanese name even though the character has no correlation to Asia.

so damn true. so. damn. true.
Out of Action.

Foopzheart
SKREEEEEEEE

Postby Foopzheart » 06 Feb 2015, 04:56

LET'S SEE IF FOOP FITS CLICHES

The Divine Potato wrote:
Eight foot or higher: Really depends. Fuipui fluctuates in height, but everything about him is in flux, it's kind of a thing w/ chaos.

Older than normal human age, and predating modern society and in several cases the planet. Or even the universe. You can't really avoid that with Gods. I don't generally assign ages to my characters though, just let people assume by appearance, personality, etc

Commanders of their element (this stirs up problems when people with the exact same powers clash too) Not sure if chaos is an element, but--I HAD IT FIRST BACK OFF LOOSERS AM SO COOL EYES TURN RED

Not so much as it used to be but vampires are cliche too Not quilty of this at all. Kek

So are nine tailled kitsunes, there are three of those things floating about to my knowledge that have some credibility to them. christ

The 'playing it cool' type personality is kind of copy and pasted to nearly every character, nearly every one. elaborate

Facility experiments, admittedly it's a good plot thing and it should be capitalised more upon but it's pretty much the excuse for anyone possible: Step 1, facility creates weird ass mutant and instead of researching or vivisecting it they take pride in torturing the life out of it. Step 2, the facility and it's deplorable security even though they have advanced technology allow the character to escape. Step 3, character is traumatised like a Vietnam veteran from the mention if the facility. This can be great when you're actually creative about it.

Use of the 'void' this kinda stemmed from an argument between three people over who has control over it but I thought I'd touch on it a little more. Have a pocket dimension instead, the dimension of the void shouldn't really belong to anyone. Though void magic is a rarity. lmao. that's it.

The fighter, this is more common with newer people as they want to test their boundaries but everyone kind of gets sick of being asked to fight, for the bajillionth time. lol yeah i hate this btw let's spar xD

Anything involving darkness or light. A whole lot of people use dark magic, and a whole lot use light, it's like the other elements of magic were forgotten about. One character who uses dark magic from like 2010. I keep him around for the novelty.

Putting 'unknown' or '???' For age in character history. Might as well have not even typed the three letters and the colon along with your vague answer to the age of your character. I've already stated my reason for this

The Batman-esque origins. Your character can have parents, but y'know not be seeing them, instead of being an orphan, the rp room ain't a youth hostile. Why would parents have to be relevant? I don't even bring them up.

The demigod. Whenever someone makes a character this is basically what they are aiming to make while beating around the bush as much without trying to make a Mary Sue or a Gary Stu, some people however do not. And it's getting older seeing soo many people with the ability to destroy the earth in a yawn basically. Destroying things is so 2012.

-edit-

Demons,demons demons demons everywhere. Can't argue that. They're too common.

People with red eyes too, it's become not a sign of being threats in but rather the most common eye colour. This is the most cliche-est of the cliches. Never do this.

prophet wrote:Final Forms You just activated my trap card! Now I must become my final form, Foop-Getshu-10!!!!!!!!!1!!

Turning into smoke to avoid confrontation why

Being immune to physical blows and smirking afterwards. -smirks- i'm immune to being labelled a cliche.

"I'm immortal." I'm immoral. Is that close?

Having a katana with a poorly chosen Japanese name even though the character has no correlation to Asia. My sakuretsu's armor will slice all!!! i am from new york.

Smoking a cigarette. It's an addiction, jerk

"I only fight to protect my friends." Please protect your enemies only. I do.

Pulling powers out of your ass. What if that's my power? Jk jk. This is BS

Having an inner demon/monster/entity that's evil. tfw the real inner demon is the good guy

Eyes that change colors. (i know my characters do this a lot but it's in good taste. ) Does it count if it's technically new eyes? One of my character's eyes explode often.

Posting a picture of your favorite anime character and saying "he/she looks like this. except evil." this just made me laugh tbh

Being a neko. This is annoying.

Being half dragon. This is worse.

Having a character that can turn into a child and then back into an adult. Possibly the child form is a neko. [looks at Duke] never seen that before

Light speed travel. >not just teleporting

Getting hit and, "ALAS, T'WAS ONLY A CLONE!" ... I have a special hatred for that one. Christ, what is this, Naruto?

Having a poorly edited picture of a random anime character you found off of google images with your character's name plastered on it, usually in red. I do this. [insert picture of kyubey]

Being the ruler of hell. but prophet

Time travel. Fun.

Having a kunai on hand for no reason. What is a Kunai

Having diamond/titanium/adamantium armor or weaponry. >not having an unnamed alloy

Playing an innocent little girl who is actually evil or something. Happens frequently, believe it or not. I have a evil-worshipping corpse boy. Close enough, right?

A maid. Probably neko maid. These can be funny.

Having a bio with "his family was killed" >not "he killed his family" scrubs
vaguely present
SKREEE SKREEEEEE SKREEEEEEEEE

Foopzheart
SKREEEEEEEE

Postby Foopzheart » 06 Feb 2015, 05:00

The Divine Potato wrote:Let's throw not having any organs onto the bump Fire, and yes, a brain is nescessary for further function as a sentient being, otherwise zombies would be unstopable. BS tactic, hinders stories. Would not/10

I think we've found at least one that every rper is guilty of.

Oh, being any form of ruler, I know it's fun but it fits a cliche's definition. King Foopford is created to be a cliche, in my defense.

Melee weapons in general I guess, I was chastised for using a gun and the one who I was arguing said 'archery', how many people use archery to do anything besides trick shot and murder a random person? Raise thy hand if that specific one doesn't apply to you and you use a bow. Mechanical gloves are TECHNICALLY unarmed in Fallout. Jerk.

Well I guess this is a Foop storyline kinda thing but pocket dimensions. It's only a cliche because it's SO MUCH FUN, JAN

And on a related note Alice In Wonderland-esque settings, I know you edgy kids like the tea time scene and like to put your own twist on it but how many queen of hearts cards do you have up your sleeve? I started that, I deserve to keep my characters for it.

And nothing against pokemon rpers, genuinely did it once myself but, yeah, that's a cliche too to be either a pokemon trainer/master or a pokemon. And somehow they can talk. And are level 120. Oh, right, and they know Draco Meteor despite being an Oshawott. PokeRP is different.
vaguely present
SKREEE SKREEEEEE SKREEEEEEEEE

The Divine Potato
The All Powerful FWGER

Postby The Divine Potato » 06 Feb 2015, 10:40

The Divine Potato wrote:Right this is where you post things that you find to have come up so many times that they seem dis interesting now or just things that happen a whole lot.

Character cliches:

Eight foot or higher Not yet got one with this height

Older than normal human age, and predating modern society and in several cases the planet. Or even the universe. As what Foop said, it's hard with gods but my thing is, she predates Arventia because she made it.

Commanders of their element (this stirs up problems when people with the exact same powers clash too) I myself have two characters with hydrokinesis.

Not so much as it used to be but vampires are cliche too Still not became a victim of this one, however Tamamo probably still has those teeth marks still.

So are nine tailled kitsunes, there are three of those things floating about to my knowledge that have some credibility to them. And mine is one of them, and was the first.

The 'playing it cool' type personality is kind of copy and pasted to nearly every character, nearly every one. Because people wish me to elaborate it is the kind of person who is unfazed by generally everything, has no fears, gets hurt and laughs and that kind of thing.

Facility experiments, admittedly it's a good plot thing and it should be capitalised more upon but it's pretty much the excuse for anyone possible: Step 1, facility creates weird ass mutant and instead of researching or vivisecting it they take pride in torturing the life out of it. Step 2, the facility and it's deplorable security even though they have advanced technology allow the character to escape. Step 3, character is traumatised like a Vietnam veteran from the mention if the facility. As Foop said as well, it can be very good if you use it right, I figure L and D's little story of breaking out and living there for the first month of their lives needs a bit of telling.

Use of the 'void' this kinda stemmed from an argument between three people over who has control over it but I thought I'd touch on it a little more. Have a pocket dimension instead, the dimension of the void shouldn't really belong to anyone. Though void magic is a rarity. And getting a bit more of a rarity

The fighter, this is more common with newer people as they want to test their boundaries but everyone kind of gets sick of being asked to fight, for the bajillionth time. I would gladly do this with para if I didn't believe it rude to ask too much.

Anything involving darkness or light. A whole lot of people use dark magic, and a whole lot use light, it's like the other elements of magic were forgotten about. L for light and D for dark la la la.

Putting 'unknown' or '???' For age in character history. Might as well have not even typed the three letters and the colon along with your vague answer to the age of your character. I think I have at least plastered some form of age on all of my characters, otherwise I have given a rough estimate for the others.

The Batman-esque origins. Your character can have parents, but y'know not be seeing them, instead of being an orphan, the rp room ain't a youth hostile. One of my characters has these, kinda because her mother ate her father and has no maternal instincts and also has cannibal siblings.

The demigod. Whenever someone makes a character this is basically what they are aiming to make while beating around the bush as much without trying to make a Mary Sue or a Gary Stu, some people however do not. And it's getting older seeing soo many people with the ability to destroy the earth in a yawn basically. One of mine can indirectly do this, except it is what you'd expect could destroy the earth that actually does it, a single-celled bacteria.

-edit-

Demons,demons demons demons everywhere. Still everywhere

People with red eyes too, it's become not a sign of being threats in but rather the most common eye colour. I think I have reduced this down to one, because she is albino.

(All cliches are in my own personal opinion and sometimes opinion is the opposite of fact though this is meant to be my most factual opinion I can muster.)

Prophet wrote:Final Forms I have seen over 9000 that can be defined as them but it would rob climax from fights

Turning into smoke to avoid confrontation One of my pet hates

Being immune to physical blows and smirking afterwards. Another one of my pet hates

"I'm immortal." Are you just naming off things I hate?

Having a katana with a poorly chosen Japanese name even though the character has no correlation to Asia. Did this once, that character no longer exists, plus named weapons are sooo 2012 when people used bleach powers.

Smoking a cigarette. Seen only a few people do this, but you have been around longer to see more of that.

"I only fight to protect my friends." A ninja always protectts his comrades!

Pulling powers out of your ass. Every fight is usually a powers pissing competition, it is usually gauged as the more powerful the character, the more powers they have I guess.

Having an inner demon/monster/entity that's evil. How about having one that's good? Or one that used to be.

Eyes that change colors. (i know my characters do this a lot but it's in good taste. ) I have one that does this, but she can change her everything colour and shape because she's a doppelganger.

Posting a picture of your favorite anime character and saying "he/she looks like this. except evil." Not done the second part, definitely done the first part.

Being a neko. Yet to make any cat-eared characters despite them being all over Arventia.

Being half dragon. Personally another pet hate of mine, despite their being a race of this in Arventia

Having a character that can turn into a child and then back into an adult. Possibly the child form is a neko. Having someone else turn you into a child is a totally different matter.

Light speed travel. -Scratches head- ha hha ha, totally not a person who does this, want to see me run to that mountain and back? Want to see me do it again?

Getting hit and, "ALAS, T'WAS ONLY A CLONE!" ... I have a special hatred for that one. I have seen this done but not used it personally.

Having a poorly edited picture of a random anime character you found off of google images with your character's name plastered on it, usually in red. I'm not artistic ;-;

Being the ruler of hell. Ding, now I'm going off to play some Gat Out Of Hell to give a tutorial into killing these guys.

Time travel. Foop...

Having a kunai on hand for no reason. One has it, but for a reason, part time kunoichi.

Having diamond/titanium/adamantium armor or weaponry.Pfft, Those are sooo last century, it's all mythrill carbon fibre and nanomaterial now.

Playing an innocent little girl who is actually evil or something. Happens frequently, believe it or not. I believe you, killing a demonic schoolgirl is slightly less satisfying than murdering an arch-demon from the pits of tartarus, not that I could do any in speed rp

A maid. Probably neko maid. I never knew this was a thing actually, but it sounds like fun, a character I have has a staff of mer-maids at her home? Geddit?

Having a bio with "his family was killed" Ding, and ususally that they want to take vengeance on the killer

TheDivinePotato wrote:Let's throw not having any organs onto the bump Fire, and yes, a brain is necessary for further function as a sentient being, otherwise zombies would be unstoppable. [color=#4080FF]Still a pet hate of mine, I mean how is Rize gonna eat you and nibble your giblets if you don't have any.

I think we've found at least one that every rper is guilty of. Yes we have, me, yes we have.

Oh, being any form of ruler, I know it's fun but it fits a cliche's definition. Yay, I know words, have what? ten plus of these?

Melee weapons in general I guess, I was chastised for using a gun and the one who I was arguing said 'archery', how many people use archery to do anything besides trick shot and murder a random person? Raise thy hand if that specific one doesn't apply to you and you use a bow. No one has raised their hand yet.

Well I guess this is a Foop storyline kinda thing but pocket dimensions. I have one in a fire extinguisher

And on a related note Alice In Wonderland-esque settings, I know you edgy kids like the tea time scene and like to put your own twist on it but how many queen of hearts cards do you have up your sleeve? I guess so Foop

And nothing against pokemon rpers, genuinely did it once myself but, yeah, that's a cliche too to be either a pokemon trainer/master or a pokemon.Ah the memories of Tamamo being mistaken for a ninetails

[/color]

Return to “Role-playing”