Loosen up on the ''Outside Links'' (General)

Put your suggestions on how to improve the community here
Flobalob
FWG Mod

Re: Loosen up on the ''Outside Links'' (General)

Postby Flobalob » 04 Feb 2015, 00:24

mmm wrote:When is a mod "present?" What if they walk away from the computer? "Oh I just posted that link because I saw a mod online in users online." And What about people getting mad because they don't qualify as trusted?

I know, I literally said that I knew that was complicated. That wasn't a legit suggestion tbh, it's too hard. But something along those lines, seeing as mods should be able to determine if a link is safe or not, and shouldn't really be forced to delete if it's perfectly safe.
September Quiz - 2ndImage
October Contest - 2ndImage
Official most likely to become the new Kim Kardashian - Image#Betterthanyou

mmm
FWG Mod

Postby mmm » 04 Feb 2015, 01:44

Flobalob wrote:
mmm wrote:When is a mod "present?" What if they walk away from the computer? "Oh I just posted that link because I saw a mod online in users online." And What about people getting mad because they don't qualify as trusted?

I know, I literally said that I knew that was complicated. That wasn't a legit suggestion tbh, it's too hard. But something along those lines, seeing as mods should be able to determine if a link is safe or not, and shouldn't really be forced to delete if it's perfectly safe.

Taking the time to determine whether or not a message is safe means that an unsafe link will be up long enough for users to access it, regardless of whether or not it is truly safe. Safety is only one concern mods would need to consider. "Is this link advertising one of FWG's competitors or will it route traffic from FWG somewhere else?" "Does this link have a forum or chat that may be then used to link unsafe or competing material?"

There is no reason people cannot simply share links on their forum accounts, in PM or on forum. It doesn't take very long and safety takes priority over convenience when convenience is merely saving 30 seconds.
Image For trying.

Flobalob
FWG Mod

Postby Flobalob » 04 Feb 2015, 17:16

mmm wrote:
Flobalob wrote:

Taking the time to determine whether or not a message is safe means that an unsafe link will be up long enough for users to access it, regardless of whether or not it is truly safe. Safety is only one concern mods would need to consider. "Is this link advertising one of FWG's competitors or will it route traffic from FWG somewhere else?" "Does this link have a forum or chat that may be then used to link unsafe or competing material?"

There is no reason people cannot simply share links on their forum accounts, in PM or on forum. It doesn't take very long and safety takes priority over convenience when convenience is merely saving 30 seconds.

In order to determine if a link is allowed, mods have to hover over it anyway. You can usually tell from the main URL if it is safe or not. I know a lot of website URLs.

Links aren't always posted for factual reasons. They're posted for humorous reasons, primarily. PMing a link to everyone in the chat is not only awkward and impractical, but also takes away from the humour involved.

It's just not the same.

mmm
FWG Mod

Postby mmm » 04 Feb 2015, 19:07

Flobalob wrote:
mmm wrote:
Flobalob wrote:

In order to determine if a link is allowed, mods have to hover over it anyway. You can usually tell from the main URL if it is safe or not. I know a lot of website URLs.

Links aren't always posted for factual reasons. They're posted for humorous reasons, primarily. PMing a link to everyone in the chat is not only awkward and impractical, but also takes away from the humour involved.

It's just not the same.

Current system: Click or hover over link, if URL is allowed, permit it.
Time required:3 seconds

Any alternative system: click link, surf website for any forums or chatbox etc.
Time required: 30 seconds or more.

No one knows all the URLs and whether or not they are safe. There is simply no way for this to work.
Image For trying.

Flobalob
FWG Mod

Postby Flobalob » 04 Feb 2015, 21:02

mmm wrote:
Flobalob wrote:
mmm wrote:
Flobalob wrote:

It's just not the same.

Current system: Click or hover over link, if URL is allowed, permit it.
Time required:3 seconds

Any alternative system: click link, surf website for any forums or chatbox etc.
Time required: 30 seconds or more.

No one knows all the URLs and whether or not they are safe. There is simply no way for this to work.

So, just delete if we don't recognize it.

Foopzheart
SKREEEEEEEE

Postby Foopzheart » 04 Feb 2015, 23:04

Or only allow some new links. Clicking a lightshot link and checking for rule-breaking takes maybe 3 more seconds--3 seconds is not the end of the world. And useless things like "lmgtfy" could only be used harmfully if they used I'm Feeling Lucky to link to another game site, while listenonrepeat is literally just YouTube.
vaguely present
SKREEE SKREEEEEE SKREEEEEEEEE

Return to “Suggestions”