FWG RENOVATION

Put your suggestions on how to improve the community here
Skriltek
FWG freebooter

FWG RENOVATION

Postby Skriltek » 13 Aug 2015, 04:38

Well if you were on chat room 1 on 8-12-15 you'd know why this was here. If not, lemme fill you in :D The point of this topic is to suggest things to make FWG a better place, and make it welcome to newcomers! The last time I wrote something in the forums was about 5 years ago :P, so things you suggest will be considered by Frook and others. Ones that we already came up with are...

-A place to submit games. This was my idea. Basically, I was thinking developers could have a website where they could spread their games for all to play. Power to them! This will definitely make it easier. It's sort of like Newgrounds, or Kongregate.

-These two were suggested by Flobalob. I thought they were brilliant.
Being able to rate games! This will make it better for the community and newcomers alike by being able to see the top rated games!
The next one is making a myFWG account, that ties your forum, commenting and chat account! This might be hard to do, but at the very least we can have a general myFWG account that you log in to from the front page.

-Trash recommended this next one. Being able to downvote or upvote comments, aswell as flagging/reporting them. That would be great for removing annoying comments and track harmful users!

-Generally, we agreed that the site needed a bit of renovation design wise. Mainly to be modernized, and organized, better. It still looks like something straight out of 2008, so this needs to happen.

-Next is for a new game. Flob and Trash came up with this one. Bowman Online! Since Bowman 2 was such a huge success, that series should keep going. Kings also brainstormed some ideas for it and you can also check out the topic it has for itself now.

Flobalob
FWG Mod

Re: MAKE FWG BETTER!

Postby Flobalob » 13 Aug 2015, 04:46

Also, I'm hella bored so I'm using Wix to redesign the front page of the site. Just because it's no secret that the site hasn't changed much in a few years, and is starting to look.. old.

Obviously, nothing is concrete. Frook can't pay people to do it for him, so anything we do we pretty much do ourselves. And with Frook's permission, of course.

Oh, and another thing. BOWMAN ONLINE.

BOWMAN, GODDAMN, ONLINE.

Js y'know, 'cause Bowman 2 got loads of plays and at the time everyone wanted Bowman Online. So we need to make that happen. But yeah, Frook isn't rich and FWG China shut down, so yeah.
September Quiz - 2ndImage
October Contest - 2ndImage
Official most likely to become the new Kim Kardashian - Image#Betterthanyou

Foopzheart
SKREEEEEEEE

Postby Foopzheart » 13 Aug 2015, 04:47

A more refined site design. This is a thread for general modernization/improvement of the site rather than any specific thing, I assume, so I'm going to say a few things about the home page. It's cluttered. We see 10-20 games as soon as we load in, and while this shows that the site has variety, it is also an eyesore and confusing to focus on so many things at once. Perhaps a more organized view of the games rather than a wall of new games. Like, the new games of the day, the hot ones of the week, and a few classics (like Bowman 2 or Insectonator) that have been played a lot. The pictures are currently tiny and could use a resize. I don't mean a HUGE icon, but enough of an image that we will know what we're in for. Also, make things smoother. I mean this in the nicest way possible--The current layout is ARCHAIC. Let's get a team on redesign.

I'd also like to see more games made. This, of course, can be helped with the portal, but actual FWG-made games from a dedicated team of developers again would be fantastic. Maybe we could get volunteers from people on the site? People familiar with flash or coding? It's all an idea to me--I have no idea of the capabilities of our users, but I'm excited to find out.
vaguely present
SKREEE SKREEEEEE SKREEEEEEEEE

Skriltek
FWG freebooter

Postby Skriltek » 13 Aug 2015, 05:12

Foopzheart wrote:
I'd also like to see more games made. This, of course, can be helped with the portal, but actual FWG-made games from a dedicated team of developers again would be fantastic. Maybe we could get volunteers from people on the site? People familiar with flash or coding? It's all an idea to me--I have no idea of the capabilities of our users, but I'm excited to find out.
That's a great idea! I have programming knowledge myself. Me and more users could collaborate on a game! Maybe the one Fob mentioned earlier!
Last edited by Skriltek on 13 Aug 2015, 16:22, edited 1 time in total.

Flobalob
FWG Mod

Postby Flobalob » 13 Aug 2015, 08:09

So uh, I redesigned the front page with Wix. This is me pulling an all-nighter for more or less the third night in a row, so I have no idea if it's any good but meh.

Nothing works, I only made the one page. So don't go clicking any links or trying to log in cause it just straight up wont work.

Obviously, this isn't "THE SITE MUST LOOK THIS OGM1!21!12!1ONE!", this is just a general gist of the idea. Plus, Wix is free so we can gather what people want from a website design and maybe update it a bit, idk.

http://jorriser.wix.com/freeworldgroup

You'll notice it's all down the centre - this is to optimize it for tablet and mobile use.

P.S: In case you guys haven't noticed yet, this and the Wikipedia article are two things I've made in the last three days that took me 4+ hours to make, so yeah, I'm bored. And I want to see the site expand.

Foopzheart
SKREEEEEEEE

Postby Foopzheart » 13 Aug 2015, 22:35

Flobalob wrote:So uh, I redesigned the front page with Wix. This is me pulling an all-nighter for more or less the third night in a row, so I have no idea if it's any good but meh.

Nothing works, I only made the one page. So don't go clicking any links or trying to log in cause it just straight up wont work.

Obviously, this isn't "THE SITE MUST LOOK THIS OGM1!21!12!1ONE!", this is just a general gist of the idea. Plus, Wix is free so we can gather what people want from a website design and maybe update it a bit, idk.

You'll notice it's all down the centre - this is to optimize it for tablet and mobile use.

P.S: In case you guys haven't noticed yet, this and the Wikipedia article are two things I've made in the last three days that took me 4+ hours to make, so yeah, I'm bored. And I want to see the site expand.

This is amazing. I don't think it's fwg-y enough, though. The blue's off-color and it lacks enough of the complementary yellow. Just as well, the MY FWG stuff seems a bit overblown, and idk if it's doable. Achievements? Would this be possible with the current site?
vaguely present
SKREEE SKREEEEEE SKREEEEEEEEE

Dr Frook
FWG Mod

Postby Dr Frook » 13 Aug 2015, 22:46

Flobalob wrote:So uh, I redesigned the front page with Wix. This is me pulling an all-nighter for more or less the third night in a row, so I have no idea if it's any good but meh.

wow, that's actually quite cool...
The BUGBLATTER BEAST HAS SPOKEN, ALL HAIL THE BLATTERER!

Dr Frook
FWG Mod

Postby Dr Frook » 13 Aug 2015, 22:48

Skriltek wrote:
Foopzheart wrote:
That's a great idea! I have programming knowledge myself. Me and more users could collaborate on a game! Maybe the one Fob mentioned earlier!

this would be cool - esp if we can get html5 games made.

we could incorporate ads in the games, where you guys get the ad revenue and I get the game. So it's shared value to everyone.

Dr Frook
FWG Mod

Re: FWG RENOVATION

Postby Dr Frook » 13 Aug 2015, 22:49

feeling a bit more motivated with a renovation idea for the main pages of the site. The possibilities are there now.

As far as creating a single log in for chat, forum and comment system - yep I think I could get someone to do that for me - forum and chatbox should already be compatible.

ratings for games - there sort of already is something there in teh comment boxes below the games... though no one uses them!

Flobalob
FWG Mod

Re: FWG RENOVATION

Postby Flobalob » 13 Aug 2015, 23:02

^ this made me happy. really happy.

@Foop I thought the same thing. Feel free to take the html from the page and do something idk, I know kings already kind of is. Or just tell me where you think the yellow should be and when I'm done with the Wiki for tonight I'll update it.

Return to “Suggestions”