mmm's Fun Fact of Whenever I Feel Like It!

Talk about anything and everything. Try not to kill each other!
Dr Frook
FWG Mod

Re: mmm's Fun Fact of Whenever I Feel Like It!

Postby Dr Frook » 22 Sep 2013, 02:26

bob-jr wrote:
mmm wrote:Sea Pig!
http://realcoldfish.files.wordpress.com/2008/07/sea-pig-large.jpg
http://www.awi.de/fileadmin/user_upload/Infrastructure/Ships/Polarstern/Weekly_Reports/ANT-XXVIII-3/23-1-2012/WB2Abb2Holothuroidea.jpg
Don't tell me they're not cute! They are in the sea cucumber family, and feed on the muck that covers the sea floor.

And that wasn't a close second?

what the frook is this?
The BUGBLATTER BEAST HAS SPOKEN, ALL HAIL THE BLATTERER!

mmm
FWG Mod

Postby mmm » 25 Sep 2013, 00:24

https://scontent-b-mia.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-prn1/q71/s720x720/554138_670054549682226_1257199859_n.jpg
OMG IT'S A MUTANT FROG LIZARD THING

No, not really. It's actually a cane toad eating a bat.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/d/db/Lophyra_sp_Tiger_beetle_edit1.jpg
So there's this Tiger beetle, yo. He can run 5.6 mph, which is the equivalent of a human running 480 MPH (based on body length). It runs so fast that it's eyes cannot keep up, so the beetle runs blind until it hits it prey, or stops to re-position itself for another go.
Image For trying.

Dr Frook
FWG Mod

Postby Dr Frook » 25 Sep 2013, 02:38

Master of Pie
FWG King

Postby Master of Pie » 28 Sep 2013, 23:52

You just did everything to reduce footprint, didn't you? I got 3 Earths with as little as possible in 'Murica, and I doubt where you live is THAT much better...
My favorite beverage is your blood.

If someone has already posted this, shoot me in the arm.

The Official FWG Searchomatic9000

mmm
FWG Mod

Postby mmm » 09 Oct 2013, 03:53

So there's this thing called the Leidenfrost effect. When water is placed on a surface much hotter than boiling temperature, some of the evaporated-water forms a protective layer between the heated surface and the water droplet. As such, the water droplets glide every which way. But these scientists have had a little fun with that.

http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=c37_1380787459
Image For trying.

Dr Frook
FWG Mod

Postby Dr Frook » 09 Oct 2013, 08:45

mmm wrote:So there's this thing called the Leidenfrost effect. When water is placed on a surface much hotter than boiling temperature, some of the evaporated-water forms a protective layer between the heated surface and the water droplet. As such, the water droplets glide every which way. But these scientists have had a little fun with that.

http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=c37_1380787459

ouch ouch ouch ouch they're torturing the water I see.

Master of Pie
FWG King

Postby Master of Pie » 09 Oct 2013, 22:10

Wau...

mmm
FWG Mod

Postby mmm » 14 Oct 2013, 12:48

It's the 100th post of my Fun Fact of Whenever I feel like it! Hurray! I wish I had something special, but Meerkats, Meteorites, and Month-long flights will have to do (stretching that third "m," I know).

You know how dogs understand when humans point? That's been learned over thousands of years of cohabitation with humans. Elephants, being the flashy show-offs they are, already knew that. As in, you take a wild elephant and point to a bucket, then they look at that bucket and trample you to death. My point is, they use some sort of pointing mechanism in the wild (one would guess it would concern the use of their trunks).

The Alpine Swift can fly continuously for 6 months. How? Beats me.

So there's this new species of animal in Suriname. Scientists theorize that the fronds on its back are used to camouflage itself as a flower's anthers.

This is a headless chicken. His name was Mike. Mike lived 18 months after a botched butchering in 1945 which left his jugular and most of his brain stem intact (a lucky blood clot prevented him from bleeding out). Mike toured the country, living a chicken's dream, whilst being fed using a small dropper. Unfortunately, he choked on some corn and died. But there is a statue of him in Fruita, Colorado. Mike would be proud.

Ever wonder why paper beats rock? If you don't, you need to go home and rethink your life. Trees split boulders. At first, roots find their way into cracks. Then they slowly force the cracks to expand as the roots grow. The newly exposed rock is further forced open as it freezes then thaws then freezes again with the changing of the seasons. Unfortunately, I lost the dramatic picture I wanted to show you all, and google was no help. Here's a pretty picture that shows the beginning of the process.

Oooooh, pretty. That, my friend, is part of the 1003 kg Fukang meteorite. I'd tell you all about its belonging to a family of meteorites that compose only 1% of all meteorites, but I know what you want. How much does it cost? Well, a collector who had a 925 lb piece was expected to fetch 2 million for it. But some people sell it in tiny chunks, around $25 a pound.
http://www.mhmeteorites.com/images/fukang_187-2.jpg

AWWW! MEERKATS! Yeah, no. Meerkats are well-known as highly social animals. But did you know they actively shun individuals as punishment? Or that the Alpha female sometimes kills the young of another meerkat mom and make the subordinate nurse the alpha's kid? What, that wasn't on Meerkat Manor?
Image For trying.

Dr Frook
FWG Mod

Postby Dr Frook » 16 Oct 2013, 23:33

Master of Pie wrote:You just did everything to reduce footprint, didn't you? I got 3 Earths with as little as possible in 'Murica, and I doubt where you live is THAT much better...

I did not cheat :P

Master of Pie
FWG King

Postby Master of Pie » 19 Oct 2013, 22:55

FWG Leader wrote:
Master of Pie wrote:You just did everything to reduce footprint, didn't you? I got 3 Earths with as little as possible in 'Murica, and I doubt where you live is THAT much better...

I did not cheat :P

Wow... Impressive... *pats Frook on the head*

Return to “General Chat”