Food for thoought

Talk about anything and everything. Try not to kill each other!
J3rdegree
FWG Mod

Food for thoought

Postby J3rdegree » 21 Apr 2013, 04:39

I just read this creepypasta and it really blew my mind...
Goodnight/Goodbye by N/A wrote:“Do you believe in Cartesian duality?”

“Cartesian what?”

“That consciousness is not caused by physical processes but by something else — some sort of soul if you will.”

“I guess not.”

“Well, then I guess I shouldn’t-“

“You promised!”

“Ok, but don’t say I didn’t warn you. There’s a famous thought experiment that goes like this: In the future, a teleportation device has been invented. It works by creating a perfect copy of whatever is put into it at the receiving end and then destroying the original at the sending end. If you use the machine to travel to Hawaii or something, what comes out will have all your memories, behave exactly like you—it would be impossible for anyone to tell the difference. Now the question is whether this is you—in other words, would you be willing to use this machine?”

“Um…if the thing that comes out is a perfect replica of me I don’t see why not”

“Really? Doesn’t your body at the sending end get destroyed though?”

“Well, my body gets slowly replaced piece by piece every few years anyways. If what comes out is exactly like me for all practical purposes, then there is no reason to think it isn’t me. This is a cute example and all, but I really don’t see the point.”

“Well, Ok then, let’s try another scenario. You figure out one day that there is a perfect replica of earth in some alternate universe. Of course this other earth has a perfect replica of you, your family, your hometown—everything you care or know about. Unfortunately, someone tells you that it isn’t Ok for these two planets to be exactly the same and that to make them different, either you or your replica has to die. He then surprisingly offers you the choice. Which would you want to survive?”

“Oh, interesting, I guess my copy will probably be getting the same talk and question, but I would clearly want myself to live. Whether this actually effects the outcome is unclear. I understand the other example better now, but even so, there are never going to be two of me after I step into the teleporter.”

“I’m not sure you’re getting the point, doesn’t the example with the alternate universes show that even a perfect copy of you isn’t necessarily the same as you?”

“Hmm, I guess. There’s still no reason to think that what comes out of the receiving end isn’t me though.”

“Well, let’s go back to the point about there being two of you. Imagine if the teleporter sometimes developed problems and destroyed the sending end copy seconds to minutes after the receiving end copy was created. Now which one is you?”

“Ah, so in this situation the sending end copy is me and the machine would basically be killing me. But it seems so artificial for whether the receiving end copy is actually me to depend on the specific timing of things. Therefore I guess I would definitely never want to use such a machine.”

“Right.”

“Wait, the scariest part about this is that if for whatever reason I did teleport, the me that comes out the other end would have all my memories and therefore remember going through the teleportation machine safely. It would actually think that teleportation is a good idea!”

“Yeah, you can imagine some poor sucker who thinks he’s gone through thousands of safe teleportations, not realizing his experience only started at the end of the last one and that he just has a bunch of fake memories of all the previous copies of himself.”

“Wow, that’s sort of terrible.”

“Anyways, so now that we are on the same page about that—“

“Wait a second, suddenly my consciousness is tied up to the fixed physical elements of my current body. Why isn’t that silly for the reasons I was talking about before?”

“Oh, so here it helps to think of your consciousness as some instance of some complicated process run using the bits and pieces that make up your body. While the pieces may switch out over the years the specific instance of the process continues. When your body is completely destroyed by the teleporter, the instance of the process stops and you stop experiencing permanently—in other words, you die.”

“Ok, fine, I guess that makes sense. The only problem is that I know of thousands of times in my life that my instance of this process has shut off.”

“Ah, you seem to have hit the crux of the problem. Every time you sleep, right?”

“Yeah.“

“Are you sure this isn’t a problem with the argument but instead something that the argument is telling you about sleep?”

“Stop trying to scare me, I have personal experience of surviving sleep thank you very much.”

“Um…do you remember the sucker who thought he had been through hundreds of safe teleportations? Another instance of the process drawing on the same intact pool of memories does start when you wake up, after all.”

“…”

“Anyways, good night! I guess since there is a good chance that I won’t ever be seeing you again, I should be saying good bye too.”

(link to original story http://www.creepypasta.com/good-night-good-bye/ )
Image FWG Award for Geekiest FWGr
and FWG Award for Best Bromance with mmm ;3

Daftpunk
FWG Captain

Re: Food for thoought

Postby Daftpunk » 21 Apr 2013, 04:50

... I don't get it... :|
Me: Nixon, this food tastes terrible!
Nixon: I am not a cook.

Me: Hitler, what does the scouter say about his power level?
Hitler: It's over nien nien nien nien thousand!!!!

Shadowstar1922
I Shall Eatz You

Postby Shadowstar1922 » 21 Apr 2013, 11:51

That makes me scared to sleep... .-.

Karamix3
FWG Professional

Postby Karamix3 » 21 Apr 2013, 15:13

Is this trying to refute the immortality of the soul? :?: I don't get the point.

mop

Postby mop » 21 Apr 2013, 15:45

Daftpunk wrote:... I don't get it... :|

It's saying that when you sleep, it's like you're teleporting. So when you wake up, you aren't the same person that you went to sleep as. You are a copy that has all of your memories.

Lamb
I Shall Eatz You
Location: In a room watching anime, studying other stuff, and basically making others laugh.

Postby Lamb » 21 Apr 2013, 17:07

mopofdoom wrote:

It's saying that when you sleep, it's like you're teleporting. So when you wake up, you aren't the same person that you went to sleep as. You are a copy that has all of your memories.

>-> Indeed...
But We shouldn't fear because it has already happened O.O
I've lost my pieces.

Daftpunk
FWG Captain

Postby Daftpunk » 21 Apr 2013, 22:04

mopofdoom wrote:

No I get the concept but not why it's creepy. It just seems logical.
Me: Nixon, this food tastes terrible!
Nixon: I am not a cook.

Me: Hitler, what does the scouter say about his power level?
Hitler: It's over nien nien nien nien thousand!!!!

Connor
FWG Chat Mod

Postby Connor » 22 Apr 2013, 10:23

The phrase is a "Penny for your thought"...

Not food. :lol:

And that is a little creepy. I don't wanna sleep anymore...
Om nom nom nom nom nom nom...

J3rdegree
FWG Mod

Postby J3rdegree » 23 Apr 2013, 03:59

never heard your saying either Conny.. xD
Just different parts if the country i guess :P
but yah this isnt so much scary in the horror sense as it is creepy to think that there is no real logical way to prove this wrong...
anyone want to have a funeral for their past beings and celebrate the rebirth of out now conscience tomorrow? :D
Image FWG Award for Geekiest FWGr
and FWG Award for Best Bromance with mmm ;3

Shadowstar1922
I Shall Eatz You

Postby Shadowstar1922 » 23 Apr 2013, 10:34

j3rdegree wrote:never heard your saying either Conny.. xD
Just different parts if the country i guess :P
but yah this isnt so much scary in the horror sense as it is creepy to think that there is no real logical way to prove this wrong...
anyone want to have a funeral for their past beings and celebrate the rebirth of out now conscience tomorrow? :D

You could just watch someone fall asleep and drink a bunch of coffee and make sure they don't die or blow up and be replaced. :lol:

Return to “General Chat”