Fun time after doom's day

Talk about anything and everything. Try not to kill each other!
Lamb
I Shall Eatz You
Location: In a room watching anime, studying other stuff, and basically making others laugh.

Fun time after doom's day

Postby Lamb » 29 Jan 2017, 06:04

This is my post about covering my winter vacation after my first semester of college.

I had been bothered by a growth in my leg for months, so I decided on getting studies done on it but never acted to do anything about it until now. I decided to visit the office of a surgeon on the 20th of December, and had given the MRI scan of my growth, which I perceived to be a benign tumor of fat. I was half-right. X-rays were performed on me during the visit to show that it was indeed a tumor, but one on my femur, Osteochondroma to be exact. I was originally planning to have the surgery done after my second semester of college, however we decided against it, as it would become problematic the more we wait. The decision was made to do it on the 22nd of December(hence the title of this topic). I hanged out with friends the day before, my surgery to just chill, didn't make them aware of the importance of the 21st though, bonus points to you if you know(it has 3 significant meanings to me (^: ). The day of my surgery I went in sweat pants, a white t-shirt and my University of Texas track jacket. I couldn't eat anything during the morning to avoid any unforeseen accidents (vomiting due to the general anesthesia). I was actually thinking I would be awake during the procedure, like I've heard of people having brain surgery while being awake, which I didn't learn that it was done for certain reasons. I went to the surgery center and was greeted into it, I didn't feel any anxiety like most people assumed I would. It was my first surgery(hopefully last, at least for a long time.), however it wasn't like my life was in danger so there was nothing to worry about honestly. I was taking to the back where I was asked to change out of my clothes into a pair of socks, a hospital gown, and a hairnet if I recall correctly. I spoke with a nurse who happened to have a daughter in high school that's a junior who needed advice, so that's what I spent the majority of my time talking about. She helped me relax a bit(from placing the IV into me) and gave me an intravenous(IV) injection to help with the nausea. It was an odd feeling, having a liquid enter into my blood stream that was cold and cooled my body from the inside, though the purpose of it is to maintain me hydrated and to maintain the anesthetic drugs given to me to circulate within my body. I was taken to a room in the back where I was to be operated on, about 5 individuals were there(no students to view the procedure however) who were to help out the surgeon along with the anesthesiologist. The last thing I recall was leaning down to sit back and closing my eyes as a mask was placed onto my face, which I assume was the oxygen used to knock me out before a tube was placed inside my mouth to continue my breathing along with sevoflurane gas. Then drugs would be used through my IV during the procedure, in order to prevent my body from moving, the responses of my body's system of rushing blood to the wound site to prevent bleeding out, and what I assume was Fentanyl to prevent pain. My leg was sprayed with something to prevent infection during the procedure, which I had somewhat difficulty removing during my recovery. I awoke in a massage chair after surgery, which a bit of trouble seeing and hearing, which reminded me of hallucinogens, but I had somewhat of impaired speech, as I spoke slowly even though I was thinking in my mind that I was up to speed. I felt perfectly fine after fifteen to thirty minutes post surgery, however we took precaution to avoid problems. I went home and laid on my couch with my leg extended, until at night my parents noticed I was bleeding out. They took me to the hospital(I was not aware I had to leave a message for the Surgeon's pager, which I was told later.) where my bandages were removed (with the exception of a gauze that maintained itself on the staples of my leg). We were scheduled to go to the surgeon's office on the 6th, however we went on the 27th (the holidays screwed with us) to check if there were any problems, which after it was examined the wound was healing up nicely. I did scratch below one staple which left a bigger scar, so that sucks, but my staples were completely removed on the 6th and I was asked to begin attempting to walk and using a bike, which I did almost immediately. I am now capable of walking without trouble for a long distance, but not to the extent which I used to. I will slowly begin to run more often and swim to help with my recovery. The scars should heal up in about 4-5 more months completely.
So yeah, this was a summary of my wonderful winter break that was a month away from college where I did absolutely nothing aside from lying down and complaining to myself about being incapable of moving.
I've lost my pieces.

Leprechaun Lukia
FWG God

Re: Fun time after doom's day

Postby Leprechaun Lukia » 03 Mar 2017, 08:40

Lamb wrote:This is my post about covering my winter vacation after my first semester of college.

I had been bothered by a growth in my leg for months, so I decided on getting studies done on it but never acted to do anything about it until now. I decided to visit the office of a surgeon on the 20th of December, and had given the MRI scan of my growth, which I perceived to be a benign tumor of fat. I was half-right. X-rays were performed on me during the visit to show that it was indeed a tumor, but one on my femur, Osteochondroma to be exact. I was originally planning to have the surgery done after my second semester of college, however we decided against it, as it would become problematic the more we wait. The decision was made to do it on the 22nd of December(hence the title of this topic). I hanged out with friends the day before, my surgery to just chill, didn't make them aware of the importance of the 21st though, bonus points to you if you know(it has 3 significant meanings to me (^: ). The day of my surgery I went in sweat pants, a white t-shirt and my University of Texas track jacket. I couldn't eat anything during the morning to avoid any unforeseen accidents (vomiting due to the general anesthesia). I was actually thinking I would be awake during the procedure, like I've heard of people having brain surgery while being awake, which I didn't learn that it was done for certain reasons. I went to the surgery center and was greeted into it, I didn't feel any anxiety like most people assumed I would. It was my first surgery(hopefully last, at least for a long time.), however it wasn't like my life was in danger so there was nothing to worry about honestly. I was taking to the back where I was asked to change out of my clothes into a pair of socks, a hospital gown, and a hairnet if I recall correctly. I spoke with a nurse who happened to have a daughter in high school that's a junior who needed advice, so that's what I spent the majority of my time talking about. She helped me relax a bit(from placing the IV into me) and gave me an intravenous(IV) injection to help with the nausea. It was an odd feeling, having a liquid enter into my blood stream that was cold and cooled my body from the inside, though the purpose of it is to maintain me hydrated and to maintain the anesthetic drugs given to me to circulate within my body. I was taken to a room in the back where I was to be operated on, about 5 individuals were there(no students to view the procedure however) who were to help out the surgeon along with the anesthesiologist. The last thing I recall was leaning down to sit back and closing my eyes as a mask was placed onto my face, which I assume was the oxygen used to knock me out before a tube was placed inside my mouth to continue my breathing along with sevoflurane gas. Then drugs would be used through my IV during the procedure, in order to prevent my body from moving, the responses of my body's system of rushing blood to the wound site to prevent bleeding out, and what I assume was Fentanyl to prevent pain. My leg was sprayed with something to prevent infection during the procedure, which I had somewhat difficulty removing during my recovery. I awoke in a massage chair after surgery, which a bit of trouble seeing and hearing, which reminded me of hallucinogens, but I had somewhat of impaired speech, as I spoke slowly even though I was thinking in my mind that I was up to speed. I felt perfectly fine after fifteen to thirty minutes post surgery, however we took precaution to avoid problems. I went home and laid on my couch with my leg extended, until at night my parents noticed I was bleeding out. They took me to the hospital(I was not aware I had to leave a message for the Surgeon's pager, which I was told later.) where my bandages were removed (with the exception of a gauze that maintained itself on the staples of my leg). We were scheduled to go to the surgeon's office on the 6th, however we went on the 27th (the holidays screwed with us) to check if there were any problems, which after it was examined the wound was healing up nicely. I did scratch below one staple which left a bigger scar, so that sucks, but my staples were completely removed on the 6th and I was asked to begin attempting to walk and using a bike, which I did almost immediately. I am now capable of walking without trouble for a long distance, but not to the extent which I used to. I will slowly begin to run more often and swim to help with my recovery. The scars should heal up in about 4-5 more months completely.
So yeah, this was a summary of my wonderful winter break that was a month away from college where I did absolutely nothing aside from lying down and complaining to myself about being incapable of moving.

i gotta get surgery in a few weeks and this has kinda relieved my problems and anxieties about it. but you seriously remember nothing from the surgery? no pain?
"Everyone else gave up on you... but I saw what you could be!"

Lamb
I Shall Eatz You
Location: In a room watching anime, studying other stuff, and basically making others laugh.

Re: Fun time after doom's day

Postby Lamb » 08 Mar 2017, 03:57

I had general anesthesia, one of the drugs given to me(don't recall the name) makes it so I don't recall anything that happens. The best way to describe it is that you take a nap, then you're in somewhat uncomfortable pain after a few hours, which continues for a few days.(depends greatly on the surgery)
I've lost my pieces.

Return to “General Chat”