Pokemon Go!

Chat about games on freeworldgroup.com or elsewhere!
TheKingsHills
FWG King

Pokemon Go!

Postby TheKingsHills » 10 Sep 2015, 23:55

So if you haven't already heard of it already, it's pretty much Pokemon in real life, on your phone.

http://www.wired.com/2015/09/pokemon-go-mobile/

mmm
FWG Mod

Re: Pokemon Go!

Postby mmm » 11 Sep 2015, 02:14

I bet it'll be big. It reminds me of Ingress.
Image For trying.

Zia-
Queen of the Pokefreaks

Postby Zia- » 11 Sep 2015, 04:26

mmm wrote:I bet it'll be big. It reminds me of Ingress.

it will be, people have been begging for VR pokemon for years now, and this is a step in that direction, i for one am looking forward to this and finding out a bit more about the specifics of it
Your skin like winter
I felt you shiver
I heard you whisper
But the Pills were quicker
I watched you wither
I am the KILLER

Boxorino
The Foxy Boxy

Postby Boxorino » 11 Sep 2015, 05:03

i saw stuff about this and it looks pretty damn neat.
wish i had a smart phone to try it out on.
that was dramatic. still ready 2 die tho!

TheKingsHills
FWG King

Postby TheKingsHills » 11 Sep 2015, 09:37

mmm wrote:I bet it'll be big. It reminds me of Ingress.

Pokemon Go is actually being developed by Niantic
Niantic being the small startup branch created as a sub branch of Google. These guys are the guys who created Ingress.
Nintendo has essentially given them permission to do the game (afaik) and it's great ^_^

Rainshard
FWG God

Postby Rainshard » 12 Sep 2015, 16:22

Spoil sport here. Look at the small screen thingies at the end. It legit just looks like pokemon battle mode. Believe it or not, you probably will not see the pokemon in augmented reality. It looks like you do not look through your phone, you just go some place and you have to fight the pokemon there. Thats why there is also a watch, you cant see through a watch, but you can fight in the game.

Just a game which reacts to your location which is still pretty cool, but likely wont be anything close to what most people are expecting. Likely with a similar interface as ingress.
2015 dad
2016 most likely to be a meme.

Boxorino
The Foxy Boxy

Postby Boxorino » 12 Sep 2015, 16:41

i'm gonna become an astronaut so i can fly into space and catch deoxys
that was dramatic. still ready 2 die tho!

TheKingsHills
FWG King

Postby TheKingsHills » 12 Sep 2015, 19:17

Rainshard wrote:Spoil sport here. Look at the small screen thingies at the end. It legit just looks like pokemon battle mode. Believe it or not, you probably will not see the pokemon in augmented reality. It looks like you do not look through your phone, you just go some place and you have to fight the pokemon there. Thats why there is also a watch, you cant see through a watch, but you can fight in the game.

Just a game which reacts to your location which is still pretty cool, but likely wont be anything close to what most people are expecting. Likely with a similar interface as ingress.

I don't think most of us are expecting to look through our phones and see actual Pokemon. Augmented Reality just means improving reality by adding something to it. Simply have an ingress screen with pokemon that allows us to essentially become trainers and battle other people using the pokemon we find by going on small "adventures" on our free time is what plenty of us are looking forward to.
The watch is merely an indicator to tell users that there's a pokemon nearby that they can battle/catch so they don't spend their entire day walking around looking at their phones. It was legitimately developed out of concern that people would spend too much time looking at their phone.
Still a great concept, and something a lot of us are looking forward to.

TheKingsHills
FWG King

Postby TheKingsHills » 12 Sep 2015, 19:22

Boxorino wrote:i'm gonna become an astronaut so i can fly into space and catch deoxys

While that'd be interesting if that was a requirement to catch deoxys i'd mean that only astronauts could catch it until commercial space travel is a thing qq.
We'll probably get special events in major cities where certain legendary pokemon can be caught.

Lamb
I Shall Eatz You
Location: In a room watching anime, studying other stuff, and basically making others laugh.

Postby Lamb » 12 Sep 2015, 23:52

Whelp.. will be years from now.. if ever.. before I can catch Giratina if requirements become a thing.
I've lost my pieces.

Return to “Game Chat”