once upon a time

Talk about serious issues here!
Shadow00

once upon a time

Postby Shadow00 » 16 Jul 2014, 03:39

There were fairytales that weren't for children and were much darker than they are today.
Those fairytales were then made "suitable" for children by alterations and/or omitting stuff.
I will for the sake of examples have a brief synopsis of one of the original red riding hood versions to give you an idea of what I mean.
Red riding hood starts off to grandma's, wolf meets up learns of grandma being all alone, gets to the home faster, eats half of grandma then red riding hood arrives and wolf has her eat the rest without her knowing. Then eats her as well.
Do you know any fairy tales that were seriously disfigured to become "children I friendly"? Some stand out more than others, such as snow white or Hansel and Grettel, but any tale is fine, really. Do share.

Dr Frook
FWG Mod

Re: once upon a time

Postby Dr Frook » 30 Jul 2014, 23:52

if u ask me, all classic fairy tales are extremely scary and violent. People getting eating and chopped up all the time... just like our current B horror movies, but with more class
The BUGBLATTER BEAST HAS SPOKEN, ALL HAIL THE BLATTERER!

Shadowstar1922
I Shall Eatz You

Postby Shadowstar1922 » 31 Jul 2014, 00:32

i think we should tell our younger generation the real stories.

maybe they'll grow up better with facing reality without the sugar coating.

The Divine Potato
The All Powerful FWGER
Location: Everywhere and nowhere doing everything and nothing

Postby The Divine Potato » 31 Jul 2014, 10:12

Shadowstar1922 wrote:i think we should tell our younger generation the real stories.

If we didn't sugar coat anything then life wouldn't be sweet, those original tales were made for the purpose of entertaining adults. How about we simply let adults stumble on them like a land mine
Image -Best Storyteller award

"You have to pass on the torch sometime, just make sure it's a light and not a disease"

Shadowstar1922
I Shall Eatz You

Postby Shadowstar1922 » 31 Jul 2014, 13:36

The Divine Potato wrote:
Shadowstar1922 wrote:i think we should tell our younger generation the real stories.

If we didn't sugar coat anything then life wouldn't be sweet, those original tales were made for the purpose of entertaining adults. How about we simply let adults stumble on them like a land mine

It's better than sugaroating kids about life and then having them learn that life isn't what their parents made it out to be a decade later and going through emotional and psychological conflicts, and sometimes social conflicts because they put their expectations on standards life was never going to give them in the first place.

I mean, have you seen kids cry over knowing santa doesn't exist? or the easter bunny or tooth fairy? It may seem funny to you, but to them it's like you beat the shit out of them and insulted everything about them. I don't see why kids have to go through that. Or later in life when their friendships don't always work out so right or they messed up with a friend because of some bs their parents said that everyone is nice to you as long as you're nice to them, and you leave your kid wondering what is wrong with them, or that person, or whatever. They don't need to go through that.

Sugar-coating reality does more harm then good. Parents only do it because they want to keep the innocence in their kids for as long as they can because they hate seeing their kids grow up. It's not about their lives or their wants, it's about their child's needs. You can't play with people who are so gullible like that for your own pleasure or entertainment or for people to live in your standards.

Nudu
FWG Squire

Postby Nudu » 08 Oct 2014, 11:45

I believe that kids need to learn to be realistic. I lost my dad when i was 5 and my mum taught me how to live with that. she has been the person who I always look up to. My mum never did that thing called "sugar-coating".. She always told me the things that were real and i think i have learnt a lot through wt she taught me.

The problems we face in the society are very complex and full of situations we find hard to deal with. But through my own experiences I think my mum did the best thing in my life. She taught me to cope with everything that happens in my life. She tells me every day to live in the real world, not in the fantasy in my head. But she even then she always encouraged me to dream. It is a complicated situation. As far as i know my mum never related me a story that said cinderella, santa clause, snow white, etc excited but none the less we enjoyed reading them together. I am proud of where i stand coz of my mum.

Tycoon
FWG Mod

Postby Tycoon » 22 Oct 2014, 16:09

original Cinderella's shoe fell off because the prince put tar on the steps to stop her escaping and only the shoe got stuck
Image FWG Potential Princess 2016

#FreeWorldFinder 2nd place in Scavenger Hunt
#3 in the Halloween competition
~ it's a perfect day / to float away ~

bob-jr
FWG Mod

Postby bob-jr » 23 Oct 2014, 20:43

Tycoon Witch wrote:original Cinderella's shoe fell off because the prince put tar on the steps to stop her escaping and only the shoe got stuck

You're forgetting the part where the step sisters cut off bits of their feet to make the shoe fit.
I'm just bobbing along

Shadow00

Postby Shadow00 » 23 Oct 2014, 23:53

bob-jr wrote:
Tycoon Witch wrote:original Cinderella's shoe fell off because the prince put tar on the steps to stop her escaping and only the shoe got stuck

You're forgetting the part where the step sisters cut off bits of their feet to make the shoe fit.

Their toes actually <3

woofwoof
FWG Mod
Location: laying on the floor in my room with the lights off unsure where my life is going

Postby woofwoof » 24 Oct 2014, 01:51

Actually, the so-called 'sugar-coated' fairy tales are still more gruesome than you'd expect.

Hansel and Gretel nearly get cooked and eaten by a witch?
Little Red and her grandma get eaten and have to be cut out of the wolf by a lumberjack?

All I'm saying is, yes the old tales were gruesome, definitely. However, the gore still remains in the newer versions, it's just been watered down a bit.

I'm reminded that I should be getting over it.

Return to “Serious Discussion”