Abortion laws regarding fathers.

Talk about serious issues here!
Rainshard
FWG God

Abortion laws regarding fathers.

Postby Rainshard » 03 Mar 2015, 20:50

Source: http://www.bbc.co.uk/ethics/abortion/le ... hers.shtml

The abortion issue is largely devoted to dealing with the rights of the foetus and the mother. The rights and concerns of the father are rarely discussed.

The most common case concerning fathers and abortion is when the father wants the mother to have an abortion and she doesn't.

But sometimes the mother wants an abortion and the father wants her to have the baby. Is an abortion ever morally wrong because it transgresses the father's rights?

"A woman can legally deprive a man of his right to become a parent or force him to become one against his will."
Armin A. Brott

Do men deserve to have a right in the case of abortion? Is it the woman's choice because its her body? Does a man deserve a say?

In the UK a woman can abort a fetus without the father even knowing. To me this is incredibly wrong. The father may have developed an emotional bond with the unborn child. I'm not saying that a man should be able to force a women to have a pregnancy I just believe its wrong that fathers have little to no rights when it comes to the life of their own child.

What do you think?
2015 dad
2016 most likely to be a meme.

Tycoon
FWG Mod

Re: Abortion laws regarding fathers.

Postby Tycoon » 03 Mar 2015, 21:00

I think that the only time someone gets a say in a person's abortion, is when that person is pregnant. It's their body.

The article states that she gets pregnant and then aborts it deliberately to hurt the father - that's wrong. That's totally the wrong reasons for an abortion.

It's short, I know, but I have to leave now so I've just written my main thoughts and not expanded.
Image FWG Potential Princess 2016

#FreeWorldFinder 2nd place in Scavenger Hunt
#3 in the Halloween competition
~ it's a perfect day / to float away ~

Rainshard
FWG God

Postby Rainshard » 03 Mar 2015, 21:11

Tycoon Witch wrote:I think that the only time someone gets a say in a person's abortion, is when that person is pregnant. It's their body.

I completely agree with this, but I believe that if the child was produced (is that the right word) in a consensual relationship, the father should still have a say in the future of their child. I only disagree with the lack of laws which allow a woman to have an abortion without even informing the father. It takes two to make a baby. If the women conceived the baby in a case of rape, for example, she would not need to inform the father.
2015 dad
2016 most likely to be a meme.

Shadowstar1922
I Shall Eatz You

Postby Shadowstar1922 » 03 Mar 2015, 21:37

Rainshard500 wrote:
Tycoon Witch wrote:I think that the only time someone gets a say in a person's abortion, is when that person is pregnant. It's their body.

I completely agree with this, but I believe that if the child was produced (is that the right word) in a consensual relationship, the father should still have a say in the future of their child. I only disagree with the lack of laws which allow a woman to have an abortion without even informing the father. It takes two to make a baby. If the women conceived the baby in a case of rape, for example, she would not need to inform the father.

i agree with you on this.

Tycoon
FWG Mod

Postby Tycoon » 04 Mar 2015, 17:51

Rainshard500 wrote:

the father should still have a say in the future of their child.

I only disagree with the lack of laws which allow a woman to have an abortion without even informing the father.

The second part, I agree with you - mostly. If she has a legitimate reason for not going to tell him, then that's fair enough but should be recorded or something.

The former, however, I'm not so sure. Do you mean that you think the father should discuss with the mother prior to abortion?

Tycoon
FWG Mod

Postby Tycoon » 04 Mar 2015, 20:01

Hatty wrote:

One person is pregnant. One person is growing inside. They're both lives. Why does one life matter more than another? Because one has a voice and one doesn't? Because one has lived longer than the other? If her body and life literally hang in the balance then yes perhaps, I could see a reason but how shallow and self-centred must someone be if they basically kill a life or the potential of a life just because they don't want their body to change?

The one growing inside is dependent on the parent in which it's growing. It couldn't necessarily survive outside of the womb. The rights of the parent, an actual born person (for want of a better phrase), surely matter more than that of an unborn foetus.

Plus, pregnancy can be quite an ordeal for some women, and nobody should have to suffer through what could be up there with the worst times of their life.

Shadowstar1922
I Shall Eatz You

Postby Shadowstar1922 » 04 Mar 2015, 23:12

Tycoon Witch wrote:
Hatty wrote:

One person is pregnant. One person is growing inside. They're both lives. Why does one life matter more than another? Because one has a voice and one doesn't? Because one has lived longer than the other? If her body and life literally hang in the balance then yes perhaps, I could see a reason but how shallow and self-centred must someone be if they basically kill a life or the potential of a life just because they don't want their body to change?

The one growing inside is dependent on the parent in which it's growing. It couldn't necessarily survive outside of the womb. The rights of the parent, an actual born person (for want of a better phrase), surely matter more than that of an unborn foetus.

Plus, pregnancy can be quite an ordeal for some women, and nobody should have to suffer through what could be up there with the worst times of their life.

planting a seed in the ground and taking it out 2 weeks later is not the same as cutting down a tree.

The Dice Man
FWG Colonel

Postby The Dice Man » 05 Mar 2015, 01:36

This is prob off-topic but if a women decided to abort my son or daughter. They wouldn't have a life either.

Shadow00

Postby Shadow00 » 05 Mar 2015, 03:01

This is also probably off topic regarding how this convo is going but I agree with tyc on this.
A baby that's less than several months old is legit a parasite growing in your body.
Yeah it will one day be a lifeform BUT it's currently not.

Also, if it were NOT for abortions then I'm pretty sure that population wise we would have some laws etc to legit kill people to avoid overpopulation.

Sure thinking that your possible offspring could lead and become a Nobel prize winner etc makes it hard to abort, but if youre 19 and pregnant? what's most likely at the moment is just that it'll be a weight on an already overcrowded society.

Shadowstar1922
I Shall Eatz You

Postby Shadowstar1922 » 05 Mar 2015, 10:31

Shadow00 wrote:This is also probably off topic regarding how this convo is going but I agree with tyc on this.
A baby that's less than several months old is legit a parasite growing in your body.
Yeah it will one day be a lifeform BUT it's currently not.

Also, if it were NOT for abortions then I'm pretty sure that population wise we would have some laws etc to legit kill people to avoid overpopulation.

Sure thinking that your possible offspring could lead and become a Nobel prize winner etc makes it hard to abort, but if youre 19 and pregnant? what's most likely at the moment is just that it'll be a weight on an already overcrowded society.

the population in the world right now is very overpopulated and that is a serious problem. i think nations around the world need to work together to decrease population without killing people.

Return to “Serious Discussion”