Australian cattle 'sledgehammered to death' in Vietnam

Talk about serious issues here!
Dr Frook
FWG Mod

Australian cattle 'sledgehammered to death' in Vietnam

Postby Dr Frook » 19 May 2015, 22:36

Yep... we sell our lovely cattle overseas and... this happens to them :( not happy

Australia's live export trade is caught in a fresh controversy with claims cattle have been slaughtered with sledgehammers in Vietnam, reviving calls for trade to be suspended.

Animals Australia said it has obtained "shocking and distressing" video showing animals killed by having their skulls repeatedly smashed.

The animal rights group is yet to release the vision but lodged a complaint with the Agriculture Department earlier this month about the abattoir in Vietnam's north.

"Animals Australia launched an investigation in the country after admissions by industry representatives in April that thousands of Australian cattle had been slaughtered outside approved supply chains," a statement from the animal rights group said.

"The killing of cattle and buffalo through repeated blows to the head with a sledgehammer is the traditional method of slaughter in Vietnam."
The BUGBLATTER BEAST HAS SPOKEN, ALL HAIL THE BLATTERER!

J the J

Re: Australian cattle 'sledgehammered to death' in Vietnam

Postby J the J » 19 May 2015, 22:45

How this made me feel...

Dr Frook
FWG Mod

Postby Dr Frook » 19 May 2015, 22:47

we need synthetically grown meat products... only a couple of years away...
The BUGBLATTER BEAST HAS SPOKEN, ALL HAIL THE BLATTERER!

The Dice Man
FWG Colonel

Postby The Dice Man » 20 May 2015, 20:17

:(

Shadow00

Postby Shadow00 » 22 May 2015, 05:18

I'd like to add to this that unless cattle can support like 4 billion of meat eating population on earth (removing like some thousands of veg-people and lots of religious folks) which I'm pretty sure it can't, that means its being bred to be eaten.
If not, it wouldn't be bred as much to begin with.
The cattle population is ABOUT 1.3billion, wiki estimation.
So I'd guess around the 1 bil mark.
So yeah. Not exactly big deal.

Shadowstar1922
I Shall Eatz You

Postby Shadowstar1922 » 22 May 2015, 18:41

J the J wrote:How this made me feel...

this made me laugh a lot.

as much as i love animal and stuff,

a vegetarian diet is quite expensive.

if i get a good job, i'd probably go vegetarian.

To the topic, I really don't see the issue. I mean, Vietnam's agriculture is very traditional and classic. I'm not sure even the biggest farming companies in Vietnam can afford to "safely" kill livestock.

I have a problem with murder of animals when they're companions, be it a dog, cat, or even a cow if someone grows companionship.

But to complain about cattle, specifically the cattle being bred to be harvested and sold as steak, why are you complaining that it died?? It was eventually going to die??

The Divine Potato
The All Powerful FWGER
Location: Everywhere and nowhere doing everything and nothing

Postby The Divine Potato » 22 May 2015, 18:47

Shadowstar1922 wrote:
J the J wrote:How this made me feel...

this made me laugh a lot.

as much as i love animal and stuff,

a vegetarian diet is quite expensive.

if i get a good job, i'd probably go vegetarian.

To the topic, I really don't see the issue. I mean, Vietnam's agriculture is very traditional and classic. I'm not sure even the biggest farming companies in Vietnam can afford to "safely" kill livestock.

I have a problem with murder of animals when they're companions, be it a dog, cat, or even a cow if someone grows companionship.

But to complain about cattle, specifically the cattle being bred to be harvested and sold as steak, why are you complaining that it died?? It was eventually going to die??

To be fair that last paragraph could connote to people, that everyone eventually dies and say someone murdered them. Animal cruelty and murder are both against the law, bith result in the death of something. Only difference is that the punishment is more severe for a human and of course the one being murdered.

Saying things like that sets a dangerous precedent in our mindsets.
Image -Best Storyteller award

"You have to pass on the torch sometime, just make sure it's a light and not a disease"

Shadow00

Postby Shadow00 » 23 May 2015, 03:32

First things first, you paraphrase.
He meant it would be killed before its time to begin with.
That's why it was born. To get to an age where its meat is of good enough quality so it will be profitable as a steak.

Second, I'm quite sure people killing cattle quite differs from people killing people since,well, no law protects cattle life, really.

I don't argue tho, laws could be changed.

maybe one day cannibalism will be a free thing too, who knows.

Rainshard
FWG God

Postby Rainshard » 23 May 2015, 08:14

Shadow00 wrote:First things first, you paraphrase.
He meant it would be killed before its time to begin with.
That's why it was born. To get to an age where its meat is of good enough quality so it will be profitable as a steak.

Second, I'm quite sure people killing cattle quite differs from people killing people since,well, no law protects cattle life, really.

I don't argue tho, laws could be changed.

maybe one day cannibalism will be a free thing too, who knows.

SOYLENT GREEN IS PEOPLE!!!

But seriously. I have no problem with people eating meat and animals being raised for food but only if the animal is free-range (factory farming makes me sick) and slaughtered painlessly. I don't think that being hit in the head with a sledgehammer is painless but unfortunately like Shadowstar said Vietnam may not be able to afford other less painful methods of slaughter for such a large number of cattle.
2015 dad
2016 most likely to be a meme.

J the J

Postby J the J » 23 May 2015, 11:29

1. It is not more expensive to be vegetarian or vegan. If you want to be the kind of vegan who has to have the specialty cheeses and such then YES it will be overly expensive just like when celebrities buy food 'delicacies' that are worth a ridiculous amount. It is silly to say it is more expensive, you pay less for lentil and beans, vegetables and fruits per kilo than you do meat. You pay $21.00/kg for meat and you say that is cheaper?? If you actually put some thought and experimentation into food, your horizons can be vastly widened.

Of course everyone is entitled to their opinion, I just really can't stand when people say 'it's too expensive'.

2. What you guys are discussing is called privilege and speciesism. A cow bred for human consumption and a 'pet' cow have the same worth, the same emotions, they are not different. I feel it is the same with any animals, including humans.

I feel that it would be much more kind and sustainable for us to live in cooperation than to live in fear from one another (non-human animals and humans alike).

*would appreciate not being mocked*

Return to “Serious Discussion”