Police Brutality Thread

Talk about serious issues here!
Shadowstar1922
I Shall Eatz You

Re: Police Brutality Thread

Postby Shadowstar1922 » 03 Aug 2015, 13:22

Shadow00 wrote:Actually population does matter.
If you got the same level of police brutality and like 100 people die a year of it in US, thats 10 people a year in Australia.
Same percentage of population, less people.

Okay so by that logic, India and China should have the highest rates of police brutality in the world.

Bigger population =/= police brutality.

What accounts for police brutality is governments suppressing dissidents, exploiting the lower worker class, institutionalized racism/homophobia/sexism, lack of a democratic government, lack of popular sovereignty, lack of representation in the government, lack of legal protections in regards to civil, federal, and economic freedoms/protections, government corruption, government greed, and a evident authoritarian/totalitarian regime.

I mean, the worst police force in the world is Mexico. The Mexican police force has been constantly outed for working with local drug cartels to keep "order" and supress all those who are unhappy with the current socio-economic situation. Hence, the government of Nuevo Leon (northern state in Mexico) was exposed for kidnapping 44 uni kids and teachers for protesting better education rights/fundings. They kidnapped the kids, gave them to local drug cartel, and the cartel burned them alive and burried them, the police fully knowing what was going to happen. They tortured public dissidents in 2004 during the 2004 protests of Guadalajara and they sexually abused a lot of protesters in 2006. These were just major events that happened, You'll find hundreds of pages of Mexican police brutality.

Ontop of that, Iran, Pakistan, Egypt, North Korea, and Russia have all been internationally outed as having violent, suppressive, and brutal police forces, all of these nations ranging in ratios between population, population density, and land mass.

What on Earth could ever point you into thinking that a bigger population means police brutality? How do those two even correlate?

Excalibur
King of the Texans!

Postby Excalibur » 04 Aug 2015, 01:43

I do think, the police training/selection could be a little more extensive and rigorous, but overall I think the media goes way overboard looking at the bad side of police..

Why not talk about all the good cops out there? (Because that's not as good of a story as a bad cop)

The media shapes public view, and by overhighlighting such things, they create more fear in public of the police.
Image #BestShooter #Orby#Running
Image ~ Coolest 8-)

Shadowstar1922
I Shall Eatz You

Postby Shadowstar1922 » 04 Aug 2015, 19:25

Excalibur wrote:I do think, the police training/selection could be a little more extensive and rigorous, but overall I think the media goes way overboard looking at the bad side of police..

Why not talk about all the good cops out there? (Because that's not as good of a story as a bad cop)

The media shapes public view, and by overhighlighting such things, they create more fear in public of the police.

if there were more good cops than bad cops, then the good cops would out their comrades as soon as they knew they abused or stolen or murdered someone. they wuld come out and say this guy is a horrible man and he does not represent the police.

But when those cops do come out and say that? They get bullied and abused by the police force, then they get fired, and for some of them, they end up dead.

It's not like a police brutality event happens every month or two and everyone hones in on it, it is every single day.

over 300 people have died since 2015, making 1 or 2 deaths a day. That happens no where else in the democratic western capitalist world that we're apart of. We have a brutal police.

The media should focus on these events bc they are important to watch. We need to know the reality of what is happening in our government.

by no means should a servant of the public be able to be corrupt and step out of their boundaries, break protocol and abuse their situaiton. They must be held accountable, for we sacrifce our freedom and our paranoia and defensiveness to give these servants of the public power in order to protect us. So the minute they mess up or show a trend of constant abuse, they should be fired. But that's certainly not the case.

I mean, look at Darren Wilson. Transfered about 3 times to different police forces and had what, 2 officers write reports about why he should not be a police officer to every police station he was transfered to? Horricle track record and numerous complaints. Yet we want to defend him. okay.

From now on, Every day I will post an event hear, so you guys know how bad it's getting.

Excalibur
King of the Texans!

Postby Excalibur » 04 Aug 2015, 20:56

Shadowstar1922 wrote:Yet we want to defend him. okay.

I'm not defending anyone, I'm just stating my opinion that I believe the media Overhighlights such events resulting in widespread fear and malice in the public towards police, which in time manifests itself as police-citizen altercations.

Shadowstar1922 wrote:by no means should a servant of the public be able to be corrupt and step out of their boundaries, break protocol and abuse their situaiton. They must be held accountable, for we sacrifce our freedom and our paranoia and defensiveness to give these servants of the public power in order to protect us. So the minute they mess up or show a trend of constant abuse, they should be fired. But that's certainly not the case.

Again, I never said cops shouldn't be fired, if they break protocol.. I said
Excalibur wrote:I do think, the police training/selection could be a little more extensive and rigorous, but overall I think the media goes way overboard looking at the bad side of police..

Shadowstar1922 wrote:The media should focus on these events bc they are important to watch. We need to know the reality of what is happening in our government.

Third time, I didn't say the media shouldn't focus on these events; people deserve to know what is happening in the country. However, there is a difference between stating the facts/news and representing them through the use of bold, sensationalized, and exaggerated journalism.

I'm not sure if you even read what I was trying to say in the first post. I never said there wasn't a problem, just that the problem is over hyped by the media because they want views.
Image ~ Coolest 8-)

Foopzheart
SKREEEEEEEE

Postby Foopzheart » 04 Aug 2015, 21:16

I don't think that Chris was saying police brutality is directly correlated with population. He was saying that, looking at statistics, 100 in America and 10 in Australia would be close percentage-wise.
vaguely present
SKREEE SKREEEEEE SKREEEEEEEEE

Shadow00

Postby Shadow00 » 04 Aug 2015, 21:53

Foopzheart wrote:I don't think that Chris was saying police brutality is directly correlated with population. He was saying that, looking at statistics, 100 in America and 10 in Australia would be close percentage-wise.

Yup.
Also it is plausible that China would have more people killed by police per day than the US, statistics wise.

Dr Frook
FWG Mod

Postby Dr Frook » 04 Aug 2015, 22:33

Shadow00 wrote:Actually population does matter.
If you got the same level of police brutality and like 100 people die a year of it in US, thats 10 people a year in Australia.
Same percentage of population, less people.

I'd probably hear of max one incident a year in Australia... if that. Given the Aussie population is about 13 times smaller than the US, we would expect 1/13th the incidents seen in the US - if population numbers were the only factor to consider. We get no where near that. I still put it to police training and preconceptions, which impact police behaviour in the US.
The BUGBLATTER BEAST HAS SPOKEN, ALL HAIL THE BLATTERER!

Shadowstar1922
I Shall Eatz You

Sheriff's Deputy Hancuffed Two Third Graders

Postby Shadowstar1922 » 05 Aug 2015, 00:05

A Sheriff’s deputy in Kentucky is being sued after handcuffing two third graders for nothing other than them displaying the symptoms of Attention Deficit Disorder (ADD/ADHD).

According to a federal lawsuit filed by the American Civil Liberties Union, the Children’s Law Center, and Dinsmore & Shohl, an 8-year-old boy and a 9-year-old girl, were so young and small that the officer actually chose to handcuff them around their biceps instead of their wrists, as you can see in the disturbing video below…

Kenton County Deputy Sheriff Kevin Sumner of Covington, Kentucky (just across the river from Cincinnati, Ohio), locked the handcuffs around the children’s biceps. He contorted and forced their hands behind their backs in painful positions, while they screamed out in pain.

The boy in the video is being identified as S.R., and the girl as L.G. Both children were attacked by this deputy for behavior related to ADHD disabilities.

Neither child ended up being charged with any crime, because – put simply – they didn’t commit any. The officer assaulted and abused them nevertheless, and now a case is pending to that effect.

“Shackling children is not okay. It is traumatizing, and in this case it is also illegal,” Susan Mizner, disability counsel for the ACLU explained. “Using law enforcement to discipline students with disabilities only serves to traumatize children. It makes behavioral issues worse and interferes with the school’s role in developing appropriate educational and behavioral plans for them.”

The suit claims that the Kenton County Sheriff’s Office violated the Americans with Disabilities Act through its treatment of these children.

“Kentucky’s school personnel are prohibited from using restraints, especially mechanical restraints, to punish children or as a way to force behavior compliance,” Kim Tandy, executive director of the Children’s Law Center explained. “These regulations include school resource officers. These are not situations where law enforcement action was necessary.”

S.R.’s mother, T.R. said that “it is heartbreaking to watch my little boy suffer because of this experience. It’s hard for him to sleep, he has anxiety, and he is scared of seeing the officer in the school.”

“School should be a safe place for children,” she continued. “It should be a place they look forward to going to. Instead, this has turned into a continuing nightmare for my son.”

Kenyon Meyer, an attorney with Dinsmore & Shohl, broke it down even further.

“There was no public safety threat in any of these instances that warranted throwing the regulations out the window and handcuffing these children. The school resource officer’s involvement was harmful and unnecessary, and it escalated rather than helped the situations. We should expect that if school resource officers are in our school systems, their roles should be focused on safety and security, not discipline or punishment of special needs children.”

Read the complaint below and help get the word out, to hold this criminal cop accountable!

via countercurrentnews.com ( http://countercurrentnews.com/2015/08/adhd-third-graders-handcuffed/ )

Flobalob
FWG Mod

Postby Flobalob » 05 Aug 2015, 01:01

To be fair, Ex was just highlighting how it always gets made a big deal out of. It's not necessarily the media so much as social media that does this. Facebook, Twitter, Tumblr etc. are forever used to "share" and "repost" these events so they get a lot of publicity. That's not to say that they're right in what they're doing, or that they don't deserve to be named and shamed like this, because they absolutely do and imo have no place on this planet. But each situation is still overplayed.
September Quiz - 2ndImage
October Contest - 2ndImage
Official most likely to become the new Kim Kardashian - Image#Betterthanyou

Excalibur
King of the Texans!

Postby Excalibur » 08 Aug 2015, 00:12

I saw a cop patrolling my area, so I waved him down. After introducing myself I thanked him for his service,and he told me I made his day.

Let's remember that police r friends not enemies.
Image ~ Coolest 8-)

Return to “Serious Discussion”