UK Nurse kills herself after receiving a prank call

Talk about serious issues here!
Dr Frook
FWG Mod

UK Nurse kills herself after receiving a prank call

Postby Dr Frook » 08 Dec 2012, 21:14

You guys may have heard about the nurse (possibly) killing herself after receiving a prank call from radio hosts in Australia. This is a very sad thing, but I dont blame the prank callers for the death. The nurse must of been teetering on the edge of suicide prior to the call. The call may have been just one more issue that she could no longer deal with. People shouldn't crucify the poor radio hosts. It's not their fault, and under any other circumstances, their call would of only resulted in slight embarrassment and nothing more.

your thoughts?
The BUGBLATTER BEAST HAS SPOKEN, ALL HAIL THE BLATTERER!

Shadow00

Re: UK Nurse kills herself after receiving a prank call

Postby Shadow00 » 09 Dec 2012, 12:47

Of course not their fault.

Lamb
I Shall Eatz You
Location: In a room watching anime, studying other stuff, and basically making others laugh.

Postby Lamb » 09 Dec 2012, 17:38

THey Never Said She Killed herself...
I've lost my pieces.

Dr Frook
FWG Mod

Postby Dr Frook » 09 Dec 2012, 22:05

Lamb wrote:THey Never Said She Killed herself...

well everyone is assuming she killed herself over this issue.

Lamb
I Shall Eatz You
Location: In a room watching anime, studying other stuff, and basically making others laugh.

Postby Lamb » 10 Dec 2012, 01:05

FWG Leader wrote:
Lamb wrote:THey Never Said She Killed herself...

well everyone is assuming she killed herself over this issue.

xD Like Connor said about the word assume
I dont know the exact details if she had injected herself,or taken drugs,but we will know if an investigation happens,which i am not aware of..cus im lazy...
I've lost my pieces.

Hitokiri
FWG King

Postby Hitokiri » 10 Dec 2012, 10:30

There was an article in the paper today.

I'll paraphrase:
'The DJ's are now isolated under full 24 hour medical support care as the radio station fears they might take their own life.'

Apparently the stress of the media storm gets to these people too.
Considering these people have had media training of some sort, are somewhat celebrities, they should know of a little something of handling some mediatic circus.

Yet here we are, they themselves are now suicidal.

And you expect a nurse who does not have any media training, any experience with "fame" one way or another to hold up under the media circus.
So I think you'll have to reconsider your statement that there must be something in her personal life prior to these events.

Oh and it has been ruled a suicide by the ME.
There is no drug abuse history, or any other substance abuse.
The nurse just couldn't handle the pressure of the whole media circus in the aftermath of the event.

Which could have easily been foreseen as even the smallest child could have.

dankness75
FWG Mod

Postby dankness75 » 10 Dec 2012, 17:14

I don't see why people should do these kind of pranks, they could lead into a terrible mess sometimes. This might be different but say for example, a person has been backbiting and blamed somthing on you that you hadn't done like, threw a stone on the car and window broke and you were fasely accused by someone, that guy will come up to you, wouldn't he? He would ask and probably wont listen to you and think of consequences already. But the nurse did the wrong thing but it could have a really negative impact. :/

Temporary is one word which describes a persons life.

Flobalob
FWG Mod

Postby Flobalob » 10 Dec 2012, 17:37

Everyone puts it down to the DJs, but the producers deserve to take some of the blame. I watched the recording of an interview this morning, and apparently they didn't even come up with the idea, and had wanted to be hung up on.

When it got as far as it did, they probably should have revealed themselves, but who knows if the producers told them not to?

In any case, their impression was unrealistic at best. I'm still in shock that she believed it was, in fact, the Queen.

As Frook said, I think that there has to have been something occurring in her life in the days before the prank, because no prank call is bad enough to commit suicide, not even if you lose your job. And, of course, the DJs and producers would have no idea about any recent events in her life, so blame would be taken away from them a bit.
Last edited by Flobalob on 11 Dec 2012, 16:04, edited 1 time in total.
September Quiz - 2ndImage
October Contest - 2ndImage
Official most likely to become the new Kim Kardashian - Image#Betterthanyou

Sylvia
FWG Mod

Postby Sylvia » 10 Dec 2012, 18:44

Though I do blame the DJs for her eventual suicide, I do not think they have any PUNISHABLE blame.

They made a prank call, yes. They found out information that is obsolete and useless now. Nobody was harmed by it (the actual information) and therefore the results of the prank are as they expected.

However, the whole event was overblown - and the chain of events is what caused her suicide. The call was made, and as a cause of that she picked up, and as a cause of that she was given some stick from the hospital, and as a cause of that the media picked up on it, and as a cause of that she committed suicide.

The blame for her actual death cannot be placed on the DJs. She wasn't named by the hospital until after her death - and she never put a foot out of place, really. Although media coverage can be partly blamed, the majority of it is the hospital.

And quite honestly I feel sorry for the DJs. This was not their idea - it would have run through producers, they didn't do anything directly harmful. The harm done to these DJs will stick with them for the rest of their lives - and has ruined their careers, homelife...isn't that punishment enough for them, even to those who do think they deserve it?
Problems with Medals, Quizzes or other activities - PM me here!

Image FWG Award for Heart of Gold

Dr Frook
FWG Mod

Postby Dr Frook » 13 Dec 2012, 21:42

I feel so sorry for the DJs. They were unlucky enough to make a silly prank call that had a completely unexpected result. Now they are getting crap that should not be directed towards them. I wonder when they'll start investigating the real reason why the nurse killed herself, instead of making the DJs the scapegoats.

Return to “Serious Discussion”