Why Iran Seeks Constructive Engagement.

Talk about serious issues here!
Shadowstar1922
I Shall Eatz You

Why Iran Seeks Constructive Engagement.

Postby Shadowstar1922 » 20 Sep 2013, 23:38

Article published by the newly elected Iranian President, Hassan Rouhani.

"Three months ago, my platform of “prudence and hope” gained a broad, popular mandate. Iranians embraced my approach to domestic and international affairs because they saw it as long overdue. I’m committed to fulfilling my promises to my people, including my pledge to engage in constructive interaction with the world.

The world has changed. International politics is no longer a zero-sum game but a multi-dimensional arena where cooperation and competition often occur simultaneously. Gone is the age of blood feuds. World leaders are expected to lead in turning threats into opportunities.

The international community faces many challenges in this new world — terrorism, extremism, foreign military interference, drug trafficking, cybercrime and cultural encroachment — all within a framework that has emphasized hard power and the use of brute force.

We must pay attention to the complexities of the issues at hand to solve them. Enter my definition of constructive engagement. In a world where global politics is no longer a zero-sum game, it is — or should be — counterintuitive to pursue one’s interests without considering the interests of others. A constructive approach to diplomacy doesn’t mean relinquishing one’s rights. It means engaging with one’s counterparts, on the basis of equal footing and mutual respect, to address shared concerns and achieve shared objectives. In other words, win-win outcomes are not just favorable but also achievable. A zero-sum, Cold War mentality leads to everyone’s loss.

Sadly, unilateralism often continues to overshadow constructive approaches. Security is pursued at the expense of the insecurity of others, with disastrous consequences. More than a decade and two wars after 9/11, al-Qaeda and other militant extremists continue to wreak havoc. Syria, a jewel of civilization, has become the scene of heartbreaking violence, including chemical weapons attacks, which we strongly condemn. In Iraq, 10 years after the American-led invasion, dozens still lose their lives to violence every day. Afghanistan endures similar, endemic bloodshed.

The unilateral approach, which glorifies brute force and breeds violence, is clearly incapable of solving issues we all face, such as terrorism and extremism. I say all because nobody is immune to extremist-fueled violence, even though it might rage thousands of miles away. Americans woke up to this reality 12 years ago.

My approach to foreign policy seeks to resolve these issues by addressing their underlying causes. We must work together to end the unhealthy rivalries and interferences that fuel violence and drive us apart. We must also pay attention to the issue of identity as a key driver of tension in, and beyond, the Middle East.

At their core, the vicious battles in Iraq, Afghanistan and Syria are over the nature of those countries’ identities and their consequent roles in our region and the world. The centrality of identity extends to the case of our peaceful nuclear energy program. To us, mastering the atomic fuel cycle and generating nuclear power is as much about diversifying our energy resources as it is about who Iranians are as a nation, our demand for dignity and respect and our consequent place in the world. Without comprehending the role of identity, many issues we all face will remain unresolved."

Full article here, including page two. ---> http://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/ ... story.html

Dr Frook
FWG Mod

Re: Why Iran Seeks Constructive Engagement.

Postby Dr Frook » 21 Sep 2013, 00:58

this new guy seems way less insane than the last guy. The old guys sole purpose in the world was to abuse the US and not achieve anything except make things worse for his people.
The BUGBLATTER BEAST HAS SPOKEN, ALL HAIL THE BLATTERER!

Shadowstar1922
I Shall Eatz You

Postby Shadowstar1922 » 21 Sep 2013, 10:14

FWG Leader wrote:this new guy seems way less insane than the last guy. The old guys sole purpose in the world was to abuse the US and not achieve anything except make things worse for his people.

Yes. I'm super excited for what he can accomplish and I hope the United Nations, more specifically the United States don't deny this plea for cooperation and peace. Iran tried it in the past in 2003 and was labeled in the Axis of Evil for doing so. I hope everyone sees that Iran is moving to making friends with everyone.

Dr Frook
FWG Mod

Postby Dr Frook » 22 Sep 2013, 00:47

it could be a plot to put the west off their guard and then bam, when we least expect it, they do a nuclear bomb test in a desert somewhere...
The BUGBLATTER BEAST HAS SPOKEN, ALL HAIL THE BLATTERER!

Shadowstar1922
I Shall Eatz You

Postby Shadowstar1922 » 22 Sep 2013, 01:43

Gawd frooking damnit.

In response by the United States, President Rohani is not allowed to negotiate with any US Government official, because what Iran is giving is not, "sufficient enough", and the Israeli Prime Minister has claimed that Iran is doing this to somehow conquer the world or dominate it, something along the lines of that. I'm still figuring out how peace=world domination.

This is the 3rd frooking time Iran has screamed to the world, "Hey, can we forget about the grudges of our two cultures and just work together through diplomacy to bring peace elsewhere?" and the rest of the world, mostly America says, "lol sorry we don't do peace, nor democracy for all that matter." It sickens me so much, I am so mad.

ghost 9
FWG King

Postby ghost 9 » 25 Sep 2013, 23:24

Politicians always have a hidden agenda, and given Iran's deceptive past, I wouldn't have even acknowledged what they said until they had taken down their nuclear program. At that point, I'd consider seeking diplomatic relations.
"The costs of action are far less than the costs of inaction."

"If you don't want to be forgotten as soon as you're dead, write something worth reading, or do something worth writing"

Shadowstar1922
I Shall Eatz You

Postby Shadowstar1922 » 27 Sep 2013, 18:38

ghost 9 wrote:Politicians always have a hidden agenda, and given Iran's deceptive past, I wouldn't have even acknowledged what they said until they had taken down their nuclear program. At that point, I'd consider seeking diplomatic relations.

If they had a nuclear program, it would take them 40-70 years to fully develop a workable weapon, possibly more since Iran wouldn't have much aid in processing it. The first signs Iran actually had a nuclear program was around, 2010? Somewhere around there? So, the fact that the American people seems to be more worried about Iran possibly even considering making a final decision on a nuclear program that would take 40-70 years to make, compared to North Korea already having nuclear weapons and blowing up S. Korea and Japan, and we make diplomatic negotiations with N. Korea, is kind of sad.

And, here's an important video.

http://amanpour.blogs.cnn.com/2013/09/2 ... an-people/

An interview with CNN.

ghost 9
FWG King

Postby ghost 9 » 28 Sep 2013, 02:13

Shadowstar1922 wrote:
ghost 9 wrote:Politicians always have a hidden agenda, and given Iran's deceptive past, I wouldn't have even acknowledged what they said until they had taken down their nuclear program. At that point, I'd consider seeking diplomatic relations.

If they had a nuclear program, it would take them 40-70 years to fully develop a workable weapon, possibly more since Iran wouldn't have much aid in processing it. The first signs Iran actually had a nuclear program was around, 2010? Somewhere around there? So, the fact that the American people seems to be more worried about Iran possibly even considering making a final decision on a nuclear program that would take 40-70 years to make, compared to North Korea already having nuclear weapons and blowing up S. Korea and Japan, and we make diplomatic negotiations with N. Korea, is kind of sad.

An interview with CNN.

North Korea, even with a nuke, isn't much of a threat. Mostly because they can't even make a usable rocket. Now, they could actually sell it to Iran, who can make viable missiles.

"If you don't want to be forgotten as soon as you're dead, write something worth reading, or do something worth writing"

Shadowstar1922
I Shall Eatz You

Postby Shadowstar1922 » 28 Sep 2013, 05:00

ghost 9 wrote:
Shadowstar1922 wrote:

An interview with CNN.

North Korea, even with a nuke, isn't much of a threat. Mostly because they can't even make a usable rocket. Now, they could actually sell it to Iran, who can make viable missiles.

North Korea can nuke South Korea, and Japan and that's a threat enough.

ghost 9
FWG King

Postby ghost 9 » 28 Sep 2013, 23:54

ghost 9 wrote:
Shadowstar1922 wrote:

An interview with CNN

North Korea can nuke South Korea, and Japan and that's a threat enough.

Not without working rocket containers to put the nuke in.

Return to “Serious Discussion”