Bullying and Trolling in the chat room.

Talk about serious issues here!
Lamb
I Shall Eatz You
Location: In a room watching anime, studying other stuff, and basically making others laugh.

Re: Bullying and Trolling in the chat room.

Postby Lamb » 26 May 2014, 15:00

Shadowstar1922 wrote:
ben1 wrote:
peregrine wrote:I've had many people bullying me in the chat rooms. I won't say names, but I am very upset. I have autism, and I have kind of fragile emotions. Please do not tell me to 'ignore them' if this is accepted. I would like real solutions. Please. I REALLY DON'T WANT POSTS THAT TELL ME TO 'LET IT GO' Last time I checked, none of you were Idina Menzel. And I wish to not get banned when I do nothing. I was simply provoked. I know this won't be accepted, so I should stop talking. But if it is accepted, this is a real issue and I need help.

P.S. NO POSTS TELLING ME TO IGNORE IT!!!!!

I am very grateful for you to be standing up to this even with your autism, I have ADHD and people think I'm weird at times,but hey,that'd Riku for ya. Bulging ain't ok either way, and it is true that the mods ain't on 24/7 it's life. But, I still hope for the idea of an ignore button.

The idea of an ignore button sounds pretty great. I think we should have it.

Why would we have not added it yet if it already existed?
I'm sorry, but cbox has limited features, and an ignore button is not one of them.
I'm sorry not everyone can ignore someone.
I'm sorry that it's a problem of which I cannot fix.
I've lost my pieces.

Shadowstar1922
I Shall Eatz You

Postby Shadowstar1922 » 26 May 2014, 18:14

Lamb wrote:
Shadowstar1922 wrote:
ben1 wrote:
peregrine wrote:I've had many people bullying me in the chat rooms. I won't say names, but I am very upset. I have autism, and I have kind of fragile emotions. Please do not tell me to 'ignore them' if this is accepted. I would like real solutions. Please. I REALLY DON'T WANT POSTS THAT TELL ME TO 'LET IT GO' Last time I checked, none of you were Idina Menzel. And I wish to not get banned when I do nothing. I was simply provoked. I know this won't be accepted, so I should stop talking. But if it is accepted, this is a real issue and I need help.

P.S. NO POSTS TELLING ME TO IGNORE IT!!!!!

I am very grateful for you to be standing up to this even with your autism, I have ADHD and people think I'm weird at times,but hey,that'd Riku for ya. Bulging ain't ok either way, and it is true that the mods ain't on 24/7 it's life. But, I still hope for the idea of an ignore button.

The idea of an ignore button sounds pretty great. I think we should have it.

Why would we have not added it yet if it already existed?
I'm sorry, but cbox has limited features, and an ignore button is not one of them.
I'm sorry not everyone can ignore someone.
I'm sorry that it's a problem of which I cannot fix.

Stop acting like all the responsibility is on you and that everyone here personally demanded that you, Lamb, out of all the more senior mods, to fix for us. You don't have to be sorry. And don't you dare resort to telling the victim if they're being bullying to ignore them, or passive-aggressively tell them it's their problem that they can't ignore it with your, "I'm sorry not everyone can ignore someone". You should be attacking and going after those that bully, and attempt to correct them before you try to correct a victim. That's not the step to take, for it's never a victim's fault to be insulted and put down.

And a more, "Sadly, the ignore button is not a feature on cbox. But, considering that bullying and trolling still troubles you guys, I will work harder to make sure it doesn't happen and I'll personally inform the other mods also. would be greatly appreciated than your indirect statement of, "well if you weren't so you, then it wouldn't have happened"

And you're a mod? I honestly don't mean any disrespect, but if you have that kind of attitude toward people being bullied and picked on, then wow. I don't know what to say besides this.

ghost 9
FWG King

Postby ghost 9 » 26 May 2014, 18:41

It is the job of the moderator to moderate, not tell people to just ignore it and let it persist.

The fact that it's on the forum, and the fact that you're telling them to ignore it, means you are acknowledging that there is a problem, and as a result, you should act.

With that being said, it would have been a better idea to simply PM someone as opposed to making this topic. And furthermore, it probably would have been a better idea to move it to a PM as it continued, as well as locking the topic itself. Since I am not a mod, it isn't up to me, however, if the moderation is beginning to simply accept bullying in the chatbox and using an excuse such as 'There isn't a feature that moderates for moderators' I would be exceptionally worried.
"The costs of action are far less than the costs of inaction."

"If you don't want to be forgotten as soon as you're dead, write something worth reading, or do something worth writing"

Lamb
I Shall Eatz You
Location: In a room watching anime, studying other stuff, and basically making others laugh.

Postby Lamb » 26 May 2014, 22:03

Well, I'm sorry that there is a lot of misinterpretation on what I said. Bullying and Trolling has always been a problem, and we try our best to minimize it. I understand that everyone is different, and therefore will react to things differently. Trolls love only to get reactions out of people in order to make them have a horrible day. I'm sure most, if not all, moderators would give up more time out of their day to fully moderate the chat on a 24/7 bases, however, we have schedules in our lives that we have to attend to as well. I apologize for that inconsistency. It has been stated before, do not get involved with the user causing the problem, it will only make it worse. From personal experience I would advert the victim(s) toward another topic in order to better the situation. Don't feed the trolls.

I've also been on both sides of this conversation, because I got involved with someone trolling and it ended up with me getting banned instead for retaliating against the troll.

I have yet to say something that I, myself, have yet to do in the past when a moderator was not around.

If there is a specific user of which is causing a problem, to add on to what Ghost has already said, proceed to pm a moderator about what the user has been doing. Any extra bits of stuff you wish to pm me about this, I will gladly accept.
I've lost my pieces.

Excalibur
King of the Texans!

Postby Excalibur » 26 May 2014, 22:10

IlikeAwesomeSauce wrote:
The Dice Man wrote:Image

^ that
ya know the mods aren't on 24/7
the frick are we supposed to do if someone's getting bullied and no one's there to help?
i'm not gonna just sit back and watch
Shadowstar1922 wrote:
IlikeAwesomeSauce wrote:
The Dice Man wrote:Image

^ that
ya know the mods aren't on 24/7
the frick are we supposed to do if someone's getting bullied and no one's there to help?
i'm not gonna just sit back and watch

Agreed.

And expecting that people will go look for a mod first, rather than defend themselves, or stick up for the person being bullied is a rather idiotic system of thinking.
The Baconator wrote:I agree with Kyle and Box on this.

The thing is guys, you can't do anything. If you see bullying all you can do is maybe tell that person to stop you cannot ban or delete the comments. Such actions will probably result in more arguing and chat disharmony. Also if the aggressor is a hacker we might even get hack threats. That is why it is important to call a moderator.

Also it is very important to understand, that you are sitting at a computer, if u find yourself being bullied just close your browser. DONE, BULLYING GONE. No one can harm you if u just log off.

Most of you aren't aware of it but we do have a list of many people that are Permanently banned for bullying and personal attacks. We (The Mod Team) take such things very seriously. So it's always better to tell one of us.

Couple ways to protect yourself

- Don't give personal information
- Take screenshots
-------give screenshots to Mod
- log off site if you need too

If you dislike the system, wish to report bullying, or wish to give positive critiscism PM the Community Manager Forum account. To do so click here http://fwgforum.com/fwg1/ucp.php?i=pm&mode=compose&u=50749
Image #BestShooter #Orby#Running
Image ~ Coolest 8-)

Return to “Serious Discussion”