Why We Still Need Feminism

Talk about serious issues here!
org36
FWG Earl

Re: Why We Still Need Feminism

Postby org36 » 27 Dec 2014, 03:45

Flobalob wrote:

Gonna get hate for them but #yolo

Also, I saw a guy get shouted at by two women after he held a door open for them. I'm all for equality and wot-not, but lord I hate when it gets taken too far.

"Equality".This doesn't even sound equal. Man holds door for woman, woman starts shouting at him angrily. If woman holds door for man, she gets either a "Thank you" or a weird look. Equality much? .-.

Btw,I already said, equity. Pl0x read the post I posted above
Meepy Mipy Meepzy Mo
Dangle Frook over lava by a toe
Make a poem about this
and make Zia hiss
(Eeeeep.)
Meeeeeeeeeeep.

Shadow00

Postby Shadow00 » 27 Dec 2014, 04:20

Speaking of which, we need more women garbage collectors and janitors and like, sailors. I mean that must've missed the ears of many feminists cause those sectors are, quite sexistically, almost 100% occupied by male workers.

See the point is after some changes feminism stops being about equality (what woman would fight for more women cleaning public toilets and get a following, and especially what man would fight for more women cleaning toilets and not get blasted by feminists) and its all about how to give equal rights to women ONLY WHEN IT IS TO THEIR ADVANTAGE.

That is why equality is NOT equal to feminism.
I believe this world needs tons of equality.
It just so happens that the equality needed in the advanced countries is to the benefit of men, unlike the developing/undeveloped ones

Boxorino
The Foxy Boxy

Postby Boxorino » 27 Dec 2014, 23:52

to be fair about the suicide part, men tend to take more violent methods of suicide, such as by bullet or noose, while women tend to try and overdose. that's why men are more successful with their suicide attempts than women are.
that was dramatic. still ready 2 die tho!

Foopzheart
SKREEEEEEEE

Postby Foopzheart » 28 Dec 2014, 00:13

IlikeAwesomeSauce wrote:to be fair about the suicide part, men tend to take more violent methods of suicide, such as by bullet or noose, while women tend to try and overdose. that's why men are more successful with their suicide attempts than women are.

Source?
vaguely present
SKREEE SKREEEEEE SKREEEEEEEEE

Boxorino
The Foxy Boxy

Postby Boxorino » 28 Dec 2014, 00:16

Fuipui wrote:
IlikeAwesomeSauce wrote:to be fair about the suicide part, men tend to take more violent methods of suicide, such as by bullet or noose, while women tend to try and overdose. that's why men are more successful with their suicide attempts than women are.

Source?

holy crap can't you take FIVE SECONDS to try and google it for yourself before asking me?? just google gender differences in suicide.

Flobalob
FWG Mod

Postby Flobalob » 28 Dec 2014, 01:41

Hatty wrote:Edit: Why is method of suicide even being discussed, suicide is suicide, end of.

Think AwesomeSauce is trying to say that the reason male suicide is so much higher is because we use more reliable methods (that sounds bad..)
September Quiz - 2ndImage
October Contest - 2ndImage
Official most likely to become the new Kim Kardashian - Image#Betterthanyou

Boxorino
The Foxy Boxy

Postby Boxorino » 28 Dec 2014, 01:42

Hatty wrote:Well I'm asking for a source because I've done extensive research on this general topic and haven't come across any such statistic or even implied research, and because suicide/self harm websites are filtered on my network (thanks Dad).

So, source?

"Part of the explanation for the male/female discrepancy in rates of completed suicide may be due to men's utilizing more violent and more lethal suicide methods. The United States is the only country in the world where use of firearms constitutes the most common method of suicide, and this very lethal method is used predominantly by men. In 1990, for example, males used firearms at a rate of 13.4 to commit suicide, while the rate for females was 2.04 per 100,000 persons. Males over the age of 85 have the highest rate of suicide by use of firearms (46 per 100,000), and males aged 65 to 84 have the second highest rate for suicide by use of firearms (31 per 100,000). Since 1968, the suicide rate among U.S. youth aged 15 to 19 has more than doubled, with firearm suicides in this age group increasing by 31 percent among white males and doubling for black males between 1984 and 1988. Moreover, several studies show that those states which have strict gun control laws have lower rates of suicide."[x]

Hatty wrote:Edit: Why is method of suicide even being discussed, suicide is suicide, end of.

The method part was being discussed because part of what Flob posted talked about how men committed suicide more than females do and I replied about how both men and women attempt suicide but men are just more successful because of the methods they use.

Shadow00

Postby Shadow00 » 28 Dec 2014, 18:16

Well technically, its called females being indecisive. Maybe they want to die but maybe not.
Let's not even get into the whole attention seeking "suicide business" cause this is a whole other topic.
As a matter of fact, the whole suicide thing is off topic.
UNLESS we need feminism cause males suicide more.
So yeah, back on why feminism sucks nowadays pls.

paladin
FWG King

Postby paladin » 28 Dec 2014, 22:04

If a man seeks help for said mental issues, he is seen as weak by almost all other males and a majority of females.

Gender roles in society has essentially trapped males between a rock and a hard place
Rock being seeking help and the hard place being his pride being damaged.

Men don't like their pride being damaged.

As a result, *click....bang* tends to be a lot easier than seeking help and having to explain yourself for the rest of your life.
Image The "Most Likely to Become an Evil Genius" Frookie Winner
#Ian4CM
#Frook4Member
#Excalibur4PermaBan

The Divine Potato
The All Powerful FWGER
Location: Everywhere and nowhere doing everything and nothing

Postby The Divine Potato » 29 Dec 2014, 00:59

IlikeAwesomeSauce wrote:
Hatty wrote:Well I'm asking for a source because I've done extensive research on this general topic and haven't come across any such statistic or even implied research, and because suicide/self harm websites are filtered on my network (thanks Dad).

So, source?

"Part of the explanation for the male/female discrepancy in rates of completed suicide may be due to men's utilizing more violent and more lethal suicide methods. The United States is the only country in the world where use of firearms constitutes the most common method of suicide, and this very lethal method is used predominantly by men. In 1990, for example, males used firearms at a rate of 13.4 to commit suicide, while the rate for females was 2.04 per 100,000 persons. Males over the age of 85 have the highest rate of suicide by use of firearms (46 per 100,000), and males aged 65 to 84 have the second highest rate for suicide by use of firearms (31 per 100,000). Since 1968, the suicide rate among U.S. youth aged 15 to 19 has more than doubled, with firearm suicides in this age group increasing by 31 percent among white males and doubling for black males between 1984 and 1988. Moreover, several studies show that those states which have strict gun control laws have lower rates of suicide."[x]

The method part was being discussed because part of what Flob posted talked about how men committed suicide more than females do and I replied about how both men and women attempt suicide but men are just more successful because of the methods they use.

Ding, 'nother reason why guns should be banned in America, perhaps this constitution is a source of a great number of problems, guns being the least of them, but lets have a bit of talk about it exclusively in America, focus on America, A: because if I took a poll to see how many fwgers come from America it would most likely be higher than those from other places and B: If I took a poll on how many of these sources were acquired from statistics taken in the United States then it would also show a similar and most likely even higher result.

I seen it about a video that was posted by our own Shadow here, it was relating to the topic about guns, but the argument can ring true in other fields. I need to find the source post, but I hope he can link it is he is kind enough to do so but in it he talks about the "Character of America" and pondering on whether or not it was to blame for the amount of crime relating to guns in the US. Is it the character of America, of the (stereotypical and hopefully not true) misogynistic south, and the religious zealots dotted around the country that make America a harder place for people of race, of colour and of disabilities to find jobs and enjoy the same privileges as everyone? I am not, however saying that everywhere else is perfect, there are still pay gaps and the usual eveywhere else, and a dire need for first-wave and second-wave feminism in LEDCs but the feminism you are campaigning for is not the same as that, even Boxy herself says that "The definition has changed." So is it different from the old passionate burning anger when you want it to be? Is it too good to consider those who live life with virtually nothing far off as not good enough to be apart of that cause? Or is it about you? Once again, is it about solving all of those 'long-term' issues in America and leaving them out of your little circle whilst you bite at each other on the internet whilst insisting you are singing Kumbaya for the impoverished.

you don't receive your praise as a feminist because you help everyone, you receive the title because you are obsessed with the tradition of standing up for girl power, not for stopping world hunger, not for curing Malaria, and certainly not for going off to help stop the spread of the current ebola crisis, and definitely not for being a philanthropist no, they aren't feminists because they want to be helpful to everyone, but isn't that the definition? To be for the benefit of equality? Oh so who is it really for? Are we just dressing up things to suit the poor fragile hearts of this modern world, or are you crossing fingers behind our back whilst waving the hand which you insist gives what the capitalist system destroyed if it is taken?
Image -Best Storyteller award

"You have to pass on the torch sometime, just make sure it's a light and not a disease"

Return to “Serious Discussion”