The Divine Potato
The All Powerful FWGER
Location: Everywhere and nowhere doing everything and nothing

Re: Why We Still Need Feminism

Postby The Divine Potato » 15 Mar 2015, 15:18

mmm wrote:
The Divine Potato wrote:
mmm wrote:
The Divine Potato wrote:The only one of the recent reasons I do not agree with is murder in response to a violent partner, I believe regardless even if the queen ran over Prince Albert saying he chased her with a mace should be at least held accountable by law, the scenario I presented is a rather exceptional circumstance but if you can't get my message in it then I suggest not replying.

Murder isn't a solution, it's just another, much bigger problem.

Murder in response to abuse can be very very complicated when the abuse is long term and the murder not a reflex reaction. However, this woman was being attacked when the man was killed. It was in self-defense.

In all honesty I if he had time to get in her car couldnt she have driven to the police station instead of right over her partner?

He jumped into the car after her. Then she got out. Then at some point she ended up in the car again and the man was crushed against her bumper; she says she doesn't know how it happened.

I'm not sure I understand, do you not believe in killing someone period? Like if you have a handgun and some guy is beating you with a lead pipe, you believe that you still should not kill the attacker?

I do believe in killing, but I heavily believe in restraint, if someone was beating me with a lead pipe and I had a gun I would shoot them, definitely, but in the foot or extremities or somewhere where there was a smaller chance of instant death than blowing the attackers brains out.

I believe the fact that you have the ability to kill someone does not mean you should, if you can hurt someone you should only do it in self-defense, otherwise you are at fault, obedience towards the law is not a circumstantial thing, I believe that death is the worst thing possible. (Please don't argue against that particular point, it's a big psychological thing for me.) Infact, she got off pretty leniently by the standards of the law, she could have received the death penalty. (Unless she wasn't in America and more specifically one of those states.) If you believe in a life for a life does a situation like that seem fair?

If I killed someone, even out of self-defense then I would expect to be punishable by the law, so to kinda sum-up, I do believe in killing, but I also believe in justice, and it should not take sides of race, sex, nationality or even situation. I don't quite believe she should have been done for murder quite at least, but obviously due to lack of evidence it can't be dropped down to a case of manslaughter, your greatest defense is not your offence.
Image -Best Storyteller award

"You have to pass on the torch sometime, just make sure it's a light and not a disease"

Shadowstar1922
I Shall Eatz You

Postby Shadowstar1922 » 15 Mar 2015, 18:15

when in danger, humans have come up with many different methods in dealing with it. Methods we suggest now is usually calling the cops, but that concept is not wired into our minds to a degree that primitive instincts are, aka the fight or flight response.

When someone is in serious danger, they will do a combination of running and hiding if their minds took the flight response, matching, attacking, and arresting (to stop movement not to legally arrest someone) if their minds took the fight response, or a mixture of both. Now, some people do call the cops for they are reminded of that, but for a good portion of people they forget about that, all they know is survival.

Now, to ensure survival, there are different ends that meet the satisfaction and the end of the human mind being scared, nervous, or distraught. That is, if the enemy is arrested/tied up, if they are locked in a secluded area, if they are physically damaged to the point where one knows they can contain them, or the extreme, if they are dead.

This kind of thing in your mind is acknowledged by many, many US legal networks and depending on the one you can get a reduced sentence or no sentence at all for the safety of the human body, both physically and mentally is much much more important than following the law or any other form of social institution/contract.

Now, as much as murder is wrong and immoral, if someone is in grave danger, they have all the right in the world to end the others life if they cannot run away, tie them up, lock them up somewhere, or do enough damage to their body so they can't move properly. this is a perfect instance (imo) where individual liberty trumps collective liberty and where murder is excusable.

If a woman is getting beaten regularly, it messes with their mind. Its a torture that degrades and destroys your physical and mental health and those kinds of attacks on the human body are extremely damaging and just wrong, and any method to successfully end that suffering should be understood and respected.

Wow_Give_Up_On_Life
FWG Squire

Postby Wow_Give_Up_On_Life » 16 Mar 2015, 11:16

:lol: Well easy victory for the patriarchy. I think I'm going to do some mansplaining
Image CHEESY POOFS

org36
FWG Earl

Postby org36 » 24 Mar 2015, 14:45

org36 wrote:I'm just bored,so I'll just start an argument here or something.

Feminism should NOT be supporting equality. Here's some examples why:
I could insult a female friend and a male friend, but only the female would be offended while the male would just insult me back.
I could punch a random guy and he would probably punch me back,but doing that to a girl would land me in jail or worse.
I could slam a door in a guy's face, in which case he would most likely try to beat me up. If I did that to a girl, she would hate me for the rest of the year.
I could play a prank on a guy, in which case he'll try to play a prank back on me, but if I do that to a girl she'll probably start crying.

Instead,feminism should be supporting EQUITY instead (which is basically just give peeps what they need but can't get instead of giving everyone the same thing.) An example would be if there were three people- One is stranded in a desert, another is stranded in a jungle cave with a spring, while the last one lives in a mansion. We have 3 loaves of bread and 3 bottles of water.Instead of giving all of them 1 loaf of bread and a bottle of water,we should instead give 1 loaf of bread and all the water to the person stranded in a desert and the rest of the food to the person in a jungle cave as the person in the mansion already has all the food and water he needs.

tl;dr We don't need feminism unless it supports equity.

Note: Statistics show that the average woman works less than the average male, so they get less pay. In this case, the women CAN work as much as the males but choose not to, in which case equity is not needed here. A similar situation would be if a girl wore a skimpy dress to school - she chose to break the dress code, she gets sent home. If a guy was running around without a shirt on at school that'll most likely be breaking the dress code too, in which case he also gets sent home as he himself chose to break it.

BUMP! #I'mBarelyOnButStill
Meepy Mipy Meepzy Mo
Dangle Frook over lava by a toe
Make a poem about this
and make Zia hiss
(Eeeeep.)
Meeeeeeeeeeep.

Boxorino
The Foxy Boxy

Postby Boxorino » 25 Mar 2015, 00:39

fite me.
I could insult a female friend and a male friend, but only the female would be offended while the male would just insult me back.
that's gender stereotyping
I could punch a random guy and he would probably punch me back,but doing that to a girl would land me in jail or worse.
why would you punch anyone jfc
I could slam a door in a guy's face, in which case he would most likely try to beat me up. If I did that to a girl, she would hate me for the rest of the year.
why are you so violent
I could play a prank on a guy, in which case he'll try to play a prank back on me, but if I do that to a girl she'll probably start crying.
again, gender stereotypes
Instead,feminism should be supporting EQUITY instead (which is basically just give peeps what they need but can't get instead of giving everyone the same thing.) An example would be if there were three people- One is stranded in a desert, another is stranded in a jungle cave with a spring, while the last one lives in a mansion. We have 3 loaves of bread and 3 bottles of water.Instead of giving all of them 1 loaf of bread and a bottle of water,we should instead give 1 loaf of bread and all the water to the person stranded in a desert and the rest of the food to the person in a jungle cave as the person in the mansion already has all the food and water he needs.
can you give an example that applies that to feminism.
Note: Statistics show that the average woman works less than the average male, so they get less pay. source please.
In this case, the women CAN work as much as the males but choose not to, in which case equity is not needed here. again, sources
A similar situation would be if a girl wore a skimpy dress to school - she chose to break the dress code, she gets sent home.If a guy was running around without a shirt on at school that'll most likely be breaking the dress code too, in which case he also gets sent home as he himself chose to break it. i don't think i can think of a rebuttal to this last bit here because this isn't really a problem at my school. if this sort of thing happened, they wouldn't go home, they'd probably just be sent up to the office to have their parents bring a change of clothes.
that was dramatic. still ready 2 die tho!

The Zodiac Killer
FWG Field Marshal

Postby The Zodiac Killer » 25 Mar 2015, 07:15

I agree with feminism, just not the feminazi women out there.
My name is Alex, and have been a member since '09. Love the site and the forum. Happily Married!

Icamenal
FWG God

Postby Icamenal » 25 Mar 2015, 08:27

I normally don't go posting on Serious Discussion threads, but...
I think I believe that everyone should have the same rights as everyone else, and I believe that women should be treated with respect, but yet not patronized, but I wouldn't call myself a feminist, because I have certain disagreements about certain aspects of abortion.
I'm not sure what that makes me.
It's all really confusing.

Foopzheart
SKREEEEEEEE

Postby Foopzheart » 25 Mar 2015, 08:43

ICAMENAL wrote:I normally don't go posting on Serious Discussion threads, but...
I think I believe that everyone should have the same rights as everyone else, and I believe that women should be treated with respect, but yet not patronized, but I wouldn't call myself a feminist, because I have certain disagreements about certain aspects of abortion.

Supporting womens' rights is not synonymous with the abortion debate at all. Like, they're completely different. I don't know, some might think otherwise but I'm pretty sure you can have one side on one issue and one side on another.
vaguely present
SKREEE SKREEEEEE SKREEEEEEEEE

Icamenal
FWG God

Postby Icamenal » 25 Mar 2015, 08:52

Fuipui wrote:
ICAMENAL wrote:I normally don't go posting on Serious Discussion threads, but...

Supporting womens' rights is not synonymous with the abortion debate at all. Like, they're completely different. I don't know, some might think otherwise but I'm pretty sure you can have one side on one issue and one side on another.

I know they can contradict each other at times, but, in my experience, so many people use feminism while arguing for abortion, so when I think of feminism, I think of abortion.

org36
FWG Earl

Postby org36 » 25 Mar 2015, 13:12

Boxorino wrote:
fite me.
...Kay. I have that feeling I might get sent to jail for that.
that's gender stereotyping
Maybe it is. It accounts for most of the women in the world though. I'll reword it.
"Feminism should NOT be supporting equality. Here's some examples why:
I could insult a female friend and a male friend, and in most cases the female would be offended while the male, in most cases, would insult me back."

why would you punch anyone jfc
y wuld u tink I wuld do tht in te fist plae omg I sid culd jfc!1!!!11one!!one11!
why are you so violent
Here's what google gave me when I googled violent: "using or involving physical force intended to hurt, damage, or kill someone or something", and the other meaning isn't even relevant. So here's the thing: I was thinking along the lines of "slammed on accident". Also, "y wuld u tink I wuld do tht in te fist plae omg I sid culd jfc!1!!!11one!!one11!"
again, gender stereotypes
Fine. Rewording time. "I could play a prank on a guy, in which case he'll in most cases try to play a prank back on me, but if I do that to a girl she probably will start crying, though they might be a tomboy or something and do what guys would do. Or maybe not cry at all and just hate me and try to make my life miserable."
can you give an example that applies that to feminism.
I have no idea what 'that' is. Define please.
Note: Statistics show that the average woman works less than the average male, so they get less pay. source please.
I forgot to add something. That accounts for MOST of the percentage that isn't paid to women but being paid to men. As for the source (Which don't have stats of it, idk why I said statistics >.>), below.
In this case, the women CAN work as much as the males but choose not to, in which case equity is not needed here. again, sources
http://dailysignal.com/2014/09/17/women-really-earn-22-percent-less-men/
Here's the source. You can also google a question like "Why women get paid less than men" and you'll find stuff that don't answer your question and stuff that says they work less, etc.

A similar situation would be if a girl wore a skimpy dress to school - she chose to break the dress code, she gets sent home.If a guy was running around without a shirt on at school that'll most likely be breaking the dress code too, in which case he also gets sent home as he himself chose to break it.
i don't think i can think of a rebuttal to this last bit here because this isn't really a problem at my school. if this sort of thing happened, they wouldn't go home, they'd probably just be sent up to the office to have their parents bring a change of clothes.
The "go home" bit wasn't the point. The point was they would get in trouble. Also, you're hinting that they'll not even receive a scolding or something, so either you didn't notice my point or you just avoided admitting that my point was correct.
Meepy Mipy Meepzy Mo
Dangle Frook over lava by a toe
Make a poem about this
and make Zia hiss
(Eeeeep.)
Meeeeeeeeeeep.

Return to “Serious Discussion”