Leonard Nimoy, Star Trek's Mr Spock, dies at 83

Talk about serious issues here!
Dr Frook
FWG Mod

Leonard Nimoy, Star Trek's Mr Spock, dies at 83

Postby Dr Frook » 27 Feb 2015, 20:49

:( :( :(

NOOOOOOOOO Spock died :(

"Actor Leonard Nimoy, who won a worldwide fan base as the pointy-eared half-human, half-Vulcan Mr Spock in the Star Trek television and film franchise, has died at age 83.

Nimoy, who suffered from chronic obstructive pulmonary disease, died at his home in Los Angeles.

His wife, Susan Bay Nimoy, confirmed the death to the New York Times.

An outpouring of grief on social media has paid tribute to the man considered by many to be a geek idol.

Nimoy's Star Trek co-star William Shatner, who played hot-headed Captain James T Kirk, said he would miss the man he loved "like a brother".

"We will all miss his humour, his talent, and his capacity to love," Shatner said on Twitter.

Fellow co-star George Takei, who played Mr Sulu, posted his heartfelt tribute to Facebook.

"Today, the world lost a great man, and I lost a great friend," Takei posted to his public Facebook page.

"We return you now to the stars, Leonard. You taught us to 'live long and prosper', and you indeed did, friend. I shall miss you in so many, many ways."

Nimoy began his acting career at the age of 18, winning a sprinkling of small parts in 1950s television series, before landing the iconic role of Mr Spock in Star Trek in 1966.

Aboard the spaceship USS Enterprise, science officer Spock and his crew ventured around the galaxy exploring new worlds in death-defying odysseys.

The character Spock would be resurrected for several feature films after Star Trek snowballed into a cultural phenomenon in the 1970s and 1980s, making Spock's Vulcan salute and salutation "live long and prosper" a touchstone of the science-fiction world.

Nimoy would later reveal he based the hand gesture on a Jewish blessing.

In addition to acting, Nimoy was an accomplished director, directing two of the Star Trek films and 1987 box-office hit Three Men and a Baby starring Tom Selleck.

In the minds of avid Star Trek fans, known as Trekkies, Nimoy and Spock were inseparable.

In 1975, he authored the book I Am Not Spock attempting to open up space between himself and the character that had so captured people's imaginations.

But he would eventually embrace his role as an authority figure in the sci-fi world, writing a rebuttal to his earlier memoir in I Am Spock in 1995.

As Spock, Nimoy became a role model for nerds and geeks. He was calm under pressure with a logical response always at the ready.

Leonard Nimoy gives Vulcan salute at Star Trek Into Darkness premiere
Photo: Leonard Nimoy gives the Vulcan salute, his invented gesture that has become symbol for Star Trek fans everywhere. (Reuters: Fred Prouser)

He related an "embarrassing" anecdote to The New York Times in 2009 where he toured a California university with scientists who looked to Spock for approval.

"Then they'd say to me, 'what do you think?' expecting me to have some very sound advice. And I would nod very quietly and very sagely I would say, 'you're on the right track'," he said about his adulation in the science community.

Nimoy remained entrenched in the sci-fi community for the rest of his career, lending his voice to documentaries and video games.

He made cameo appearances in TV shows celebrating geek culture, like Chuck Lorre's The Big Bang Theory and The Simpsons.

He returned to Star Trek and an older version of his Spock character in the franchise's reboot directed by JJ Abrams in 2009 and in a 2013 sequel.

Nimoy remained active in his later years, releasing photography books and poetry.

"
The BUGBLATTER BEAST HAS SPOKEN, ALL HAIL THE BLATTERER!

The Zodiac Killer
FWG Field Marshal

Re: Leonard Nimoy, Star Trek's Mr Spock, dies at 83

Postby The Zodiac Killer » 26 Mar 2015, 06:18

May you rest in peace mister Spock. :(
My name is Alex, and have been a member since '09. Love the site and the forum. Happily Married!

Return to “Serious Discussion”