Oregon school shooting: Barack Obama pleads for gun control after 13 killed, 20 injured in shooting at Umpqua College

Talk about serious issues here!
Shadow00

Re: Oregon school shooting: Barack Obama pleads for gun control after 13 killed, 20 injured in shooting at Umpqua Colleg

Postby Shadow00 » 04 Oct 2015, 08:23

Tfw I saw the topic the guy made before the actual shooting.
Absolute madman/10
Beta uprising starting lads

TheKingsHills
FWG King

Re: Oregon school shooting: Barack Obama pleads for gun control after 13 killed, 20 injured in shooting at Umpqua Colleg

Postby TheKingsHills » 04 Oct 2015, 08:37

Shadow00 wrote:Tfw I saw the topic the guy made before the actual shooting.
Absolute madman/10

Dude that 4chan topic. The moment people realized he was serious, I hate to admit but 4chan's reaction was hilarious.
"Absolute madman"
"So long space cowboy"
"Having a girlfriend saves lives" etc.

TheKingsHills
FWG King

Postby TheKingsHills » 04 Oct 2015, 08:41

Rainshard wrote:
TheKingsHills wrote:
Connor wrote:There are mental background checks before you purchase a gun.
Also, it's the second amendment of the United States Constitution. Right to bear arms.
Yes, it's outdated since the founding fathers probably didn't think America would become this big and guns would become this evolved, but it's still a right for every citizen to have a weapon to defend themselves if need be.
Gun control laws should be more strict, I'm not denying that, but taking away guns is not going to solve a thing. There's the black market, which can easily sell someone a gun.

I think that the founding fathers did know that guns would eventually become this evolved.
The only thing I don't think they accounted for is the possibility of weaponry surpassing that of guns.

We need to remember that the right to bear arms isn't to simply defend themselves in terms of self defense. It was created to also allow the citizens of the United States to rise up against a tyrannical government if one were to rise again. As it is even more difficult to fight against a government, that has a well trained army, with sticks and stones.

Do you really want to fight the US government with guns? They have drones now.

I would rather have guns than nothing at all.
I mean idk aboot you but I would honestly feel better knowing there's a small possibility of shooting a drone out of the air. I mean it's still highly unlikely but it's better than trying to punch a drone out of the air. Regardless, if it came down to that we'd have a civil war on our hands, and we've have numbers and potentially other governments on our side. I'd prefer to be armed against the soldiers during a civil war war than be unarmed. Unless you know, you'd rather go to war with something below a gun. Like a knife, or nunchucks.

Shadow00

Postby Shadow00 » 04 Oct 2015, 22:20

TheKingsHills wrote:
Shadow00 wrote:Tfw I saw the topic the guy made before the actual shooting.
Absolute madman/10

Dude that 4chan topic. The moment people realized he was serious, I hate to admit but 4chan's reaction was hilarious.
"Absolute madman"
"So long space cowboy"
"Having a girlfriend saves lives" etc.

Let the fallen brother rest in his search for dank memes

mmm
FWG Mod

Postby mmm » 05 Oct 2015, 05:22

Are we at critical mass yet? The debate is brought up so often nowadays, it's a wonder we haven't reached the point of us actually doing something.

As much as I would love it for everyone to magically no longer have guns, mass disarmament (all civilian firearms are confiscated) isn't really an option or a good idea (forgive me if I'm the only one hearing this presented as a solution. Maybe I just have really nutty Facebook friends d:).

As to why mass disarmament won't be a thing: just look at the political climate. There is no way in hell any sort of majority of a voting body can agree to do this. Not to mention how a federal attempt to disarm America Is what those rebel flag waving fatasses fap to on the daily; it'd be Waco all across the states.

As to why it's not a good idea anyways, it'd just leave the good guys without guns and the bad guys with free reign. I'm not saying that there would be a huge influx of shootings and armed robberies, but I still consider it a right of the individual to be able to protect themselves.

Related: gun free zones are just awful. Like a shooter is gonna change his mind because of a sign. You don't need to worry about the concealed carry guy who just doesn't want to end up a mass shooting victim. I am sort of worried, however, that a fat guy named Bubba who likes to practice his open carry rights by loitering in fast food joints with his long gun would end up shooting a black kid running in the mall because he thought he was shoplifting. If training ever becomes required for weapon licenses, I sure hope it is comprehensive.

Side note; while I don't know much about the effectiveness of firearms in home defense scenarios, firearms can and have proved effective at stopping what could have potentially developed into mass shooting situations. (See: that situation where two gentlemen with handguns prevented terrorists with assault rifles from attacking.... What was it, some city hall? I can't even remember if it was France or the U.S.)
Image For trying.

Rainshard
FWG God

Postby Rainshard » 05 Oct 2015, 05:48

So they want to give guns to college students in the case of a shootings now :/

What happens when someone hears gunfire and they shoot a student who was actually shooting the shooter?

What happens when you supply a gun to a potential shooter?
2015 dad
2016 most likely to be a meme.

mmm
FWG Mod

Postby mmm » 05 Oct 2015, 07:37

Rainshard wrote:So they want to give guns to college students in the case of a shootings now :/

What happens when someone hears gunfire and they shoot a student who was actually shooting the shooter?

What happens when you supply a gun to a potential shooter?

Supply guns to students? Wow, that's intense. Incidents like the first one you mentioned could certainly become a reality; I wonder if any amount of training could help prevent misunderstandings like that from occurring.

I don't know how likely that may be, but I do know the vast majority of firearm deaths in the U.S are suicides and that the college years are one of the most likely times for suicide to occur (suicide is the second-leading cause of death for 15-24 year olds). Supplying weapons would be more likely to fuel a suicide spree then a shooting spree, but either way it's a really awful idea.
Image For trying.

TheKingsHills
FWG King

Postby TheKingsHills » 05 Oct 2015, 08:25

More likely than not in the case of a school shooting the students would most likely have handguns on them. I'd imagine that open carry wouldn't be permitted on school grounds, but concealed carry seems like the most likely option. Because of this (this is just speculation on my part, I may be misguided or drawing the wrong conclusions. If so please tell me) as a school shooter would most likely be armed with some type of firearm not permitted on school grounds, it may allow people to distinguish more easily shooter from a 'normal' student.
Regardless, if it's at the point where someone hears gunfire, if one of the students has responded by taking out their gun, you will either have a situation of a mexican stand off or one of them will be incapacitated, dead, or dying. Most likely one of the latter 3 situations will happen.

I definitely think that we should be arming students, or at the very least the teachers on school grounds. Maybe not with the current system in place but with a system with more comprehensive background checks, as well as things like comprehensive training as mmm mentioned earlier.

Rainshard
FWG God

Postby Rainshard » 05 Oct 2015, 18:57

TheKingsHills wrote:More likely than not in the case of a school shooting the students would most likely have handguns on them. I'd imagine that open carry wouldn't be permitted on school grounds, but concealed carry seems like the most likely option. Because of this (this is just speculation on my part, I may be misguided or drawing the wrong conclusions. If so please tell me) as a school shooter would most likely be armed with some type of firearm not permitted on school grounds, it may allow people to distinguish more easily shooter from a 'normal' student.
Regardless, if it's at the point where someone hears gunfire, if one of the students has responded by taking out their gun, you will either have a situation of a mexican stand off or one of them will be incapacitated, dead, or dying. Most likely one of the latter 3 situations will happen.

I definitely think that we should be arming students, or at the very least the teachers on school grounds. Maybe not with the current system in place but with a system with more comprehensive background checks, as well as things like comprehensive training as mmm mentioned earlier.

In the UK gun laws are strict. We don't need armed guards at school, students or teachers with guns, weapons to protect us in our homes. We dont carry concealed weapons around public places. We dont give kids easy access to guns which they can take in and shoot up a class. We dont need shooter drills.

That seems pretty conclusive evidence to me that strict gun laws prevents these things.

From experience in South Africa, gun laws aren't very strict. Teachers sometimes have guns, other times direct numbers on school phones to armed response units. Many have weapons in their homes and carry around weapons in public places (my aunt once shot a mugger no lies). Last week my cousins needed to hide in their classes under the desks when a group of armed men threatened to come into the school before being shot by the police. It only surfaced in local papers as this is practically a common occurrence

Strict gun control prevents these measures from being needed. I've never worried about going to school knowing that that really quiet kid in the back may come in with a gun one day. The only drills I sit through are for fires. I, along with many other people in the UK, feel safer knowing that not every average joe on the street can get a gun without hassle.

Sidenote:

2015 dad
2016 most likely to be a meme.

TheKingsHills
FWG King

Postby TheKingsHills » 05 Oct 2015, 20:03

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gun_polit ... witzerland
Despite have a relatively high gun ownership amount, why is it that the Swiss can have such little issues with guns crime?
I think it's definitely possible to allow people to continue having guns without mass shootings being a major issue like they are. Switzerland being the prime example, whoever mentioned it earlier has it on point.

Return to “Serious Discussion”