Random species dying out

Talk about serious issues here!
Shadow00

Random species dying out

Postby Shadow00 » 06 Oct 2015, 21:36

As I've seen this time and again on many a animal rights activists' cons of humans being,well,alive.

Animals go extinct.
It happens. Dinosaurs did and it wasn't because cro magnons made 500 feet long burgers.
It was because they couldn't adapt.

At some point, during the ice age, about 90% if I recall of ALL the (at the time existent) species died out.

So yeah maybe a thousand species will die out this month. Maybe, even, half of them (or even all of them) are caused by human behavior.

Now what usually people seem to forget is, there also exist new species.
Many are discovered every day.
Also, you need to realize that the term "species" is not exactly as broad as you imagine.
For example at this very moment I can name 25 different species of spiders.
Some go extinct, others appear.

That I believe happens right now too. Species die out because they can't fit in a world where a being sharing 99.7% a chimp's DNA (that's humans btw) iS driving them out of it.

Well guess what, other species that can actually adapt, will appear.

Dr Frook
FWG Mod

Re: Random species dying out

Postby Dr Frook » 11 Oct 2015, 21:22

this just another phase in the history of the world... things die out, come back in different forms, die out again and so on. It's the nature of the universe...
The BUGBLATTER BEAST HAS SPOKEN, ALL HAIL THE BLATTERER!

Shadow00

Postby Shadow00 » 11 Oct 2015, 21:58

FWG Leader wrote:this just another phase in the history of the world... things die out, come back in different forms, die out again and so on. It's the nature of the universe...

Exactly that. Lead was always a man of fewer words :P

mmm
FWG Mod

Postby mmm » 13 Oct 2015, 03:25

Biodiversity is necessary for a healthy ecosystem. When we do something like wipe out all of the small fish in a lake, that means the larger predators start dying out because they have no food. In addition, zooplankton eat all the phytoplankton, leading to a massive collapse in the population of just about everything in that lake. I'm assuming you're not making the argument that it's okay if all the small fish in a lake ecosystem die, but rather that it's no big deal that a plumed-pear-faced iguana found only in Madagascar is going to go extinct, because you believe that random species that are not apparently integral to the operation of its ecosystem have no or little value.

I kind of have to disagree; even if we can't agree on the inherent value of the beauty of a world with diverse species, that plumed-pear-faced iguana may excrete some manner of substance that can be used to cure cancer etc. Alternatively, that plumed-pear-faced iguana may be able to fill the niche that a similar iguana species used to fill until it too went extinct, and now with both of these species gone, we see another population collapse.
Image For trying.

Return to “Serious Discussion”