Will AI kill us all?

Talk about serious issues here!
Dr Frook
FWG Mod

Will AI kill us all?

Postby Dr Frook » 15 Mar 2016, 21:51

Robots will not take over the world if we set the right ethical framework and women scientists would be happier if there was cultural change and a less-demanding credential structure, Q&A panellists have said.

Key points:
•AI is not a threat if we set the right ethical framework, molecular biologist says
•Automation will bring job loss, but also job creation, Alan Finkel says
•Cultural and credential structure change would make science better place for women, female panellists agree

Tom Henderson kicked off a debate about concerns around robots with his question, "Should we be worried artificial intelligence will become self-aware and take over?"

Apparently not, according to American physicist and string theorist Brian Greene, who says we should be open to change.

"Is the form of life that we're familiar with necessarily the one that we want to stick around for time immemorial?" he said.

"How about the possibility we are just in a new stage of evolution and we will migrate from this form to another form. That might be the natural order in which evolution takes place in a technical era."

He added that if he could become immortal, even if it meant becoming a "silicon-based being", he would.

Molecular biologist Upulie Divisekera said building an ethical framework would be key to keeping artificial intelligence under control.

"We have the power and we have the ability to construct the AI we want to see," she said.

"We have to think about how we want our society to look in the future and what sort of ethical framework we want to introduce to develop the artificial intelligence."

I've been in labs where the male post doctoral students will wander have, have a chat about the science, all the other females are going 'Where did everybody go? Why aren't we part of this conversation?'.

Astrophysicist Tamara Davis echoed the concern of ethics around technology like driverless cars.

"Someone has to program how they react when a kid runs in front of the car," she said.

"There may be four people on the side walk that the car can choose to swerve and hit the four people and avoid the kid or not. The car has to make that decision."

Australia's Chief Scientist Alan Finkel was asked by Lena Wang about the role of automation and how it could impact jobs.

He said while automation would mean certain job losses, new job creation was also a reality.

"I don't think there are any industries safe from automation but I'm not convinced that the job losses are inevitable because what's happening is, with the automation, companies get a head start, they are competitive, they earn wealth and re-invest the wealth," Dr Finkel said.

"At least 45 to 50 per cent of the jobs we know of today will disappear in the next 20 years, but there will be replacement jobs."
The BUGBLATTER BEAST HAS SPOKEN, ALL HAIL THE BLATTERER!

Flobalob
FWG Mod

Re: Will AI kill us all?

Postby Flobalob » 15 Mar 2016, 23:09

Google just need to chill imo. Like, yeah we want AI but CHILL LIKE WE DON'T NEED IT RN WE CAN WAIT
September Quiz - 2ndImage
October Contest - 2ndImage
Official most likely to become the new Kim Kardashian - Image#Betterthanyou

Boxorino
The Foxy Boxy

Postby Boxorino » 16 Mar 2016, 02:13

could i ask one to kill me if i wanted tho
that was dramatic. still ready 2 die tho!

Zia-
Queen of the Pokefreaks

Postby Zia- » 16 Mar 2016, 06:27

People need to watch Terminator and Ex machina, that will show you that AI is not a good thing to create
Your skin like winter
I felt you shiver
I heard you whisper
But the Pills were quicker
I watched you wither
I am the KILLER

Shadow00

Postby Shadow00 » 17 Mar 2016, 00:56

Same argument, people need to watch blade runner.
Youd see that AI and humans have no real differences, as far as their psychosynthesis is concerned.
Is creating a new species really not something to celebrate?
The faster we jump to age of AI, the better.
Many machines are already smarter than many people, add in conscience to them and you can start replacing people w/ it.
>Inb4 human lives are more important yada yada:
Evolution is more important. Technological advancement is more important.
Humanity can wait.

Return to “Serious Discussion”