IS Belgium attacks kills 34

Talk about serious issues here!
Dr Frook
FWG Mod

IS Belgium attacks kills 34

Postby Dr Frook » 22 Mar 2016, 20:41

Man... after Paris, I was hoping this kind of crap would not happen again...

A string of apparently coordinated explosions have ripped through Brussels Airport and a city metro station, killing at least 34 people and injuring more than 106 others on a "black day" for Belgium.

Key points:
•Two simultaneous explosions rock Brussels Airport at 8:00am local time
•At 9:00am, a blast hits Maelbeek metro station, near the European Union's main buildings
•At least 34 people dead, all public transport shut down
•Islamic State militants have claimed the attack

Security was tightened across the jittery continent and transport links paralysed after the blasts that Belgium Prime Minister Charles Michel branded "violent and cowardly".

The Islamic State group has since claimed responsibility for the attacks in a series of statements.

"Islamic State fighters carried out a series of bombings with explosive belts and devices on Tuesday, targeting an airport and a central metro station in the centre of the Belgian capital Brussels," the group's AMAQ news agency said.

The attacks began with twin explosions — one of which was likely a suicide bombing — in the international departures lounge at the airport's Zaventem terminal.

A short time later a third blast hit the Maelbeek metro station, near the European Union's main buildings, just as commuters were making their way to work in rush hour.

At least 14 people were killed in the airport blasts, while 20 people died in the metro attack, Brussels mayor Yvan Mayeur told a news conference.

Three suspects pushing trolleys through Brussels airport.
Photo: A CCTV image of three men believed to be suspects in the attack — local media say the man in white is on the run, while the other two have died. (VTM/Belgian Media)

Belgian media published a CCTV image of three suspects pushing luggage trolleys at the airport.

Police say two of the men died in the attacks, but issued a wanted notice for the third man who is reported to be on the run.

Local media reported that a third undetonated explosive device was found at the airport, along with a Kalashnikov assault rifle next to one of the dead attackers.

A military explosives team have since neutralised the device in a controlled explosion.

The attacks occurred four days after the arrest in Brussels of Salah Abdeslam, the prime surviving suspect in November's attacks in Paris that killed 130 people.

Belgium raised its terror threat to the maximum level after the blasts, while locals were warned to stay inside and security was boosted across Europe.

Belgium will hold three days of national mourning in the wake of the deadly attacks.

"All national flags on public buildings will be at half-mast through Thursday," Frederic Cauderlier, a government spokesman said.

Witnesses told of chaotic scenes at the airport as passengers fled in panic, with a thick plume of smoke rising from the main terminal building.

The blasts smashed the windows of the departure hall and sent ceiling tiles shattering to the floor.

After the metro blast, more than a dozen people were lying on the pavement outside with bloodied faces and were being treated by emergency services.

Black smoke and clouds of dust billowed from the station entrance, about a hundred metres from the European Commission, the EU's executive arm.

"We feared a terror attack and it happened. I would like to call on everybody to show calmness and solidarity," Mr Michel said, labelling it a "black day".

Witnesses said words were shouted in Arabic before the airport blasts.

Tweets to help stranded survivors

Belgians use #PorteOuverte, #OpenHouse and #ikwilhelpen to open their homes and offer rides to people stranded in Brussels following a series of deadly bomb blasts.
"A lot of people lost limbs. One man had lost both legs and there was a policeman with a totally mangled leg," airport baggage security officer Alphonse Lyoura told AFP, his hands bloodied.

Belgian man David Crunelle was at the airport and told 7.30 the explosions sounded like "big giant fireworks".

"It wasn't super loud but it was really powerful and it was a very wide explosion. There was a lot of damage around the location," he said.

"Instantly everybody started screaming and crying a lot."

Politico Europe journalist James Penike was near the metro station, and said the injured people were being treated on the footpath.

"It looks like there might have been a bomb on one of those trains," he told ABC News 24.

EU President Donald Tusk said the attacks "mark another low by the terrorists in the service of hatred and violence", while French President Francois Hollande also condemned the attacks.

"Through the attacks in Brussels, the whole of Europe has been hit," he said, urging the continent to take "vital steps in the face of the seriousness of the threat.
The BUGBLATTER BEAST HAS SPOKEN, ALL HAIL THE BLATTERER!

Angel
Human Overlord

Re: IS Belgium attacks kills 34

Postby Angel » 23 Mar 2016, 00:33

There were 3 LDS missionaries hurt in the bombings as well...
My family knows the 66 year old man who was in that group of 3.
"Halo, and goodbye!"

Dr Frook
FWG Mod

Postby Dr Frook » 23 Mar 2016, 04:50

Is hito in Belgium??

*worried face*

Rainshard
FWG God

Postby Rainshard » 23 Mar 2016, 06:54

Europe is in a lot of trouble. I feel like I'm literally waiting for the next attack in the UK, because it's bound to happen soon.
2015 dad
2016 most likely to be a meme.

Icamenal
FWG God

Postby Icamenal » 23 Mar 2016, 19:19

I wonder if this will influence how people vote on the referendum, in favor of the "leave." People getting terrified and wanting to reduce the flow of immigrants.
that last sentence was so incoherent that I don't even know how to fix it

Angel
Human Overlord

Postby Angel » 23 Mar 2016, 21:06

Dr Frook wrote:Is hito in Belgium??

*worried face*

Yes, he is.
I'm not 100% sure, but I don't think he lives near Brussels.
"Halo, and goodbye!"

Flobalob
FWG Mod

Postby Flobalob » 23 Mar 2016, 21:35

Angel wrote:
Dr Frook wrote:Is hito in Belgium??

*worried face*

Yes, he is.
I'm not 100% sure, but I don't think he lives near Brussels.

Provided I got the right fb account, he's fine.

Rainshard wrote:Europe is in a lot of trouble. I feel like I'm literally waiting for the next attack in the UK, because it's bound to happen soon.

Two students who were planning to commit a drive-by shooting using a moped and firearm on a police officer/soldier in London were found guilty literally today. We're lucky we have some of the best security services in the world. Everyone complains about the NSA and that, but things could be a lot worse without them.
September Quiz - 2ndImage
October Contest - 2ndImage
Official most likely to become the new Kim Kardashian - Image#Betterthanyou

Angel
Human Overlord

Postby Angel » 24 Mar 2016, 00:26

Agreed, the NSA is only trying to protect us.
People shouldn't feel threatened by the NSA unless they have something to hide.
"Halo, and goodbye!"

Lamb
I Shall Eatz You
Location: In a room watching anime, studying other stuff, and basically making others laugh.

Postby Lamb » 24 Mar 2016, 03:16

Angel wrote:Agreed, the NSA is only trying to protect us.

Like my nudes..
but in all seriousness, privacy is the concern that people have at the moment.
My problem is the way that Obama handled it.. 30 seconds to address the matter..
I've lost my pieces.

Dr Frook
FWG Mod

Postby Dr Frook » 24 Mar 2016, 21:10

Lamb wrote:
Angel wrote:Agreed, the NSA is only trying to protect us.

Like my nudes..
but in all seriousness, privacy is the concern that people have at the moment.
My problem is the way that Obama handled it.. 30 seconds to address the matter..

people will forget about privacy if they get blown up a few times. And as Angel says, who cares unless u have something to hide?

Return to “Serious Discussion”