Mass shooting

Talk about serious issues here!
Shadow00

Mass shooting

Postby Shadow00 » 12 Jun 2016, 18:48

You all know which one I'm referring to.

This is NOT and i repeat NOT a muh guns vs muh refugees thread.

This is just an informative thread, with updates pending.
Around 50 dead, about as many injured.
If you say something, cite sources.

Rainshard
FWG God

Re: Mass shooting

Postby Rainshard » 12 Jun 2016, 19:34

Im on mobile, will add sources when on PC

Some outlets are reporting that the shooter pledged allegiance to ISIS and the shooting was a terror attack.

The father of the shooter says the shooter was angered at the sight of two men kissing, therefore meaning it could simply be a hate crime.

Im interested on how Trump and Hillary are gonna respond to this.
2015 dad
2016 most likely to be a meme.

Dr Frook
FWG Mod

Re: Mass shooting

Postby Dr Frook » 12 Jun 2016, 22:04

this is horrible... really bad.

:(

I think it is terrorist related.

At least 50 people have been killed and another 53 injured after a heavily armed gunman opened fire and seized hostages at a gay nightclub in Orlando, Florida, police say, in the worst mass shooting in US history.

Key points:
•Death toll of 50 makes it worst mass shooting in US history
•Authorities describe shooting as "terror incident"
•State of emergency declared across Orlando
•Gunman was killed during shootout with police

Terrified survivors — who moments before were laughing and dancing with friends — described how the gunman raked the club with bullets, prompting a police SWAT team to storm the venue.

"We have cleared the building, and it is with great sadness that I share we have not 20, but 50 casualties in addition to the shooter," Mayor Buddy Dyer told a mid-morning news briefing in Orlando, more than doubling the previously given death toll.

"There are another 53 that are hospitalised."

Orlando gunman Omar Mateen was violent, homophobic: reports

Early reports on the background of the Orlando mass shooting gunman paint a picture of a violent and prejudiced young man.
The shooter was identified as Omar Mateen, who called 911 on Sunday morning (local time) and made comments saying he supported the Islamic State (IS) militant group, officials said.

But US officials cautioned they had no conclusive evidence of any direct connection with IS or any other foreign extremist group.

Mateen was born to Afghan parents in 1986 and lived in Port St Lucie, Florida, about two hours' drive from Orlando.

The suspect's father told NBC news his son may have been motivated by homophobia and not by his Muslim faith.

"This had nothing to do with religion," Mir Seddique told the network, recalling a recent incident in downtown Miami.

"He saw two men kissing each other in front of his wife and kid and he got very angry," the father said, apologising to the victims.

US President Barack Obama expressed heartbreak at the "horrific massacre", branding it an act of terror and hate.

"Although it's still early in the investigation, we know enough to say that this was an act of terror and an act of hate," Mr Obama said, later ordering flags at half-staff as an act of mourning.

On gun violence Mr Obama said: "To actively do nothing is a decision as well."

FBI official Ronald Hopper told reporters officials were "confident" there was no immediate further threat to the area, or to the United States.

Because of the scale of the crime, however, Orlando's Mayor declared a city-wide state of emergency and has asked the Florida Governor to take the same measure state-wide.

"More likely than not it was an ideologically motivated attack," Florida Congressman Alan Grayson said.

"It might be that we've seen the commission of an awful hate crime."

Florida officials invited a local Islamic leader to address the media in a bid to pre-empt a possible backlash against the Muslim community.

30 hostages rescued: police

Worst mass shootings in US history:
•Orlando, Florida, June 12, 2016: 50 people die, another 53 are injured when a heavily-armed gunman opens fire and seizes hostages at a gay nightclub
•Blacksburg, Virginia, April 16, 2007: 23-year-old student of Korean origin goes on a rampage at Virginia Tech University, killing 32 people
•Newtown, Connecticut, December 14 2012: A young man kills 26 people, including 20 children at Sandy Hook elementary school. He also fatally shoots his mother. He kills himself
•Killeen, Texas, October 16, 1991: A man shoots dead 22 people in a restaurant and then kills himself. Another injured victim dies later

Other significant gun attacks:
•Littleton, Colorado, April 20, 1999: Two teenage boys shoot and kill 12 classmates and a teacher at Columbine High School before killing themselves
•Aurora, Colorado, July 20, 2012: A man kills 12 people and injures 70 more when he opens fire at a movie theatre showing a late-night premiere of a Batman film
•Fort Hood, Texas, November 5, 2009. US army psychiatrist Major Nidal Hasan opens fire at his military base, killing 13 people and wounding 42

The chaotic events unfolded over a three-hour period, beginning about 2:00am (local time) when shots rang out amid the throbbing music at the Pulse Orlando nightclub near closing time.

Police said the shots were fired by a gunman armed with an assault rifle and a handgun.

A police officer working "extra duties" at the club responded, joined by two other officers, who engaged the suspect in a gun battle, Orlando police chief John Mina said.

"The suspect at some point went back inside the club where more shots were fired. This did turn into a hostage situation," he told reporters.

"At approximately [5:00am] this morning, the decision was made to rescue hostages that were in there."

Police then stormed the venue, using explosives and breaking through a wall with a wheeled armoured vehicle known as a BearCat.

Mr Mina said about 30 people were rescued during the operation.

It was unclear whether all the victims were killed by the gunman or if some died in the ensuing shootout with police.

The attack coincides with gay pride month in the United States, with festive marches and events being held all over the country including in Orlando last week.

It was the second shooting incident in the city in just over 24 hours, coming shortly after singer Christina Grimmie was shot dead late Friday by a gunman who stormed a theatre where she had just finished a gig.

Mr Mina said there was no indication of a link between the two shootings.

'Non-stop firing': Witnesses describe shootings

Clubber Ricardo Negron, who was inside when the shooting began, described how the gunman raked the club with bullets.

"People just dropped on the floor. I guess the shooter was shooting at the ceiling because you could see all the glass from the lamps falling," he said.

He described hearing "non-stop firing" which probably lasted less than a minute but felt like a lot longer.

"There was a brief pause in the shooting and some of us just got up and ran out the back."

A post on the club's official Facebook page uploaded during the initial stages of the shooting read: "Everyone get out of Pulse and keep running."

Christopher Hansen was inside the nightclub when the shooting began.

"I was hearing the 'bang, bang, bang', I thought it was part of a song … then when you would turn around the person next to you is screaming, there was blood splattering, I didn't know it was mine or someone else's and when I got out I realised it wasn't mine, it was somebody else's," he told reporters.

Police lock down Orange Avenue around Pulse nightclub

Police lock down Orange Avenue around Pulse nightclub. (Reuters: Kevin Kolczynski)
Image 1 of 6
People mourn for victims of Orlando nightclub shooting

People mourn for victims of the mass shooting near the Pulse gay nightclub in Orlando. (AFP: The Pixel Trappa (handout))

A man carries a cross with a sign in memory of the victims of the Pulse nightclub shooting as he marches in the 2016 Gay Pride Parade. (AFP/Getty images: Jessica Kourkounis)

Friends and family members embrace outside the Orlando Police headquarters during the investigation of a shooting at the Pulse nightclub. (Reuters: Steve Nesius)

People stand in front of the US embassy in Madrid to pay tribute to the victims of the shooting of Orlando. (AFP: Gerard Julien)

One hostage's mother spoke with reporters outside the club, saying she was speaking with him on the phone as he huddled in a bathroom.

"He was shot?" the mother was asked.

"We don't know. He was in the bathroom with a hostage. He's a hostage from the shooter," the mother said.

"He was texting me and calling me.

"[He told me] the shooter has them in the women's bathroom and he was going to die.

"I made him get off the phone because I had the dispatcher on the one phone and him on the other."
The BUGBLATTER BEAST HAS SPOKEN, ALL HAIL THE BLATTERER!

Return to “Serious Discussion”