Postby Shadow00 » 16 Jun 2016, 13:17

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/bi ... ox-8207285
Funny cause guns are illegal
Next in line: fingers and butterknives to be banned

Rainshard
FWG God

Re: Brit MP shot

Postby Rainshard » 16 Jun 2016, 18:17

Funny cus these things do happen despite guns being illegal but way less than they do in the US.
Next in line: Action to be taken instead of simply being forgotten until the next shooting.
2015 dad
2016 most likely to be a meme.

Tycoon
FWG Mod

Postby Tycoon » 16 Jun 2016, 19:18

the thing is, when a shooting does happen, it's something radical like this guy who allegedly shouted "britain first". he killed one politician to try to show what he meant.

he had an 'old fashioned looking gun in his hand'. enough is enough. what happened to jo cox is both devastating and disgusting, but it makes me wonder if this issue is just about gun control. we already have that. other than tightening our laws (which are already extremely tight), i can't see a way that anyone could have prevented this, unfortunately. hopefully, i'm wrong, and we can stop this in the future.

despite this horrendous attack, i am glad for our gun laws. i don't want anyone i know, or even myself, to be attacked like jo cox was. it's frightening.
the man had a knife, too. he was determined to kill her. none of us are safe, with, or without guns. but if you take away the worst of the weapons, and screen who buys the rest of them, then maybe we can hope to be safe.

(this is really badly worded but i hate guns and i hate murder and i needed to say it even though it makes no sense)
Image FWG Potential Princess 2016

#FreeWorldFinder 2nd place in Scavenger Hunt
#3 in the Halloween competition
~ it's a perfect day / to float away ~

Tycoon
FWG Mod

Postby Tycoon » 16 Jun 2016, 19:24

AND: apparently he handmade his gun. who does that?! what sort of individual wakes up and thinks 'today i'm going to make a gun and use it to murder a mum-of-two and i'll take a knife as well' like. this is cold-blooded. this is unfair. jo cox deserved far, far more than that.
Image FWG Potential Princess 2016

#FreeWorldFinder 2nd place in Scavenger Hunt
#3 in the Halloween competition
~ it's a perfect day / to float away ~

The Divine Potato
The All Powerful FWGER
Location: Everywhere and nowhere doing everything and nothing

Postby The Divine Potato » 16 Jun 2016, 20:33

To shoot down one American pro-gun argument is that if people have guns then they can protect themselves better, a citizen in America defending themselves from a shooter in apple-pie land yields the same number of deaths, if not many more, than this single shooting, using guns in 'self defence' does not reduce the number of deaths by guns, it only increases them.
Image -Best Storyteller award

"You have to pass on the torch sometime, just make sure it's a light and not a disease"

TheKingsHills
FWG King

Postby TheKingsHills » 17 Jun 2016, 19:07

The Divine Potato wrote:To shoot down one American pro-gun argument is that if people have guns then they can protect themselves better, a citizen in America defending themselves from a shooter in apple-pie land yields the same number of deaths, if not many more, than this single shooting, using guns in 'self defence' does not reduce the number of deaths by guns, it only increases them.

Because a shooter will only ever kill 1 person. Right?
You're telling me that if someone was armed in the Orlando club and shot and killed the shooter as he became a threat the death toll would be the same?

The Divine Potato
The All Powerful FWGER

Postby The Divine Potato » 17 Jun 2016, 20:53

TheKingsHills wrote:
The Divine Potato wrote:To shoot down one American pro-gun argument is that if people have guns then they can protect themselves better, a citizen in America defending themselves from a shooter in apple-pie land yields the same number of deaths, if not many more, than this single shooting, using guns in 'self defence' does not reduce the number of deaths by guns, it only increases them.

You're telling me that if someone was armed in the Orlando club and shot and killed the shooter as he became a threat the death toll would be the same?

If the shooter killed one person, and then was shot, then we wouldn't be talking about a mass-shooting of 49 people, we would be talking about a shooting, where two people, a shooter and a person being shot were killed, and that wouldn't make any reduction from the number of people who had died from guns as we would not have even acknowledged the thought that he could have killed more people. Hell, if he bought three guns maybe the death toll cold have been another 24.5 people and brought it up to 74 or 75. Killing people with guns does not reduce the number of people actually killed by it, it reduces the theoretical number of people that could have been killed, just like taxes reduce the theoretical amount of money you could get, down to the actual quantity of money that you do get, after all, you still get money, and America still has people killed by gun-wielders, the rest of the gun wielders would rather blame it on an Xbox than a society that strains the right to have a gun no matter what is done with it.

"You have to pass on the torch sometime, just make sure it's a light and not a disease"

TheKingsHills
FWG King

Postby TheKingsHills » 18 Jun 2016, 04:12

The Divine Potato wrote:
TheKingsHills wrote:

If the shooter killed one person, and then was shot, then we wouldn't be talking about a mass-shooting of 49 people, we would be talking about a shooting, where two people, a shooter and a person being shot were killed, and that wouldn't make any reduction from the number of people who had died from guns as we would not have even acknowledged the thought that he could have killed more people. Hell, if he bought three guns maybe the death toll cold have been another 24.5 people and brought it up to 74 or 75. Killing people with guns does not reduce the number of people actually killed by it, it reduces the theoretical number of people that could have been killed, just like taxes reduce the theoretical amount of money you could get, down to the actual quantity of money that you do get, after all, you still get money, and America still has people killed by gun-wielders, the rest of the gun wielders would rather blame it on an Xbox than a society that strains the right to have a gun no matter what is done with it.

Isn't that the point? Getting down to a point where there isn't a mass shooting? You act like a 47 lives lost difference doesn't mean anything. One life saved is amazing.
You're never going to completely get rid of guns, especially in America. As proven in the UK recently, even if you ban guns that doesn't mean no shootings are going to happen.

It's like a natural disaster. Ideally there would be no deaths. But the fact remains that people will die in a natural disaster. Be it tornado, major earthquake, tsunami, whatever. If we could we'd make it so those disasters never happened but we can't. No matter how hard we try it'd still happen at some point. The best we can do is to accept that it'll happen and be prepared.

Flobalob
FWG Mod

Postby Flobalob » 18 Jun 2016, 12:31

Shadow00 wrote:http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/birstall-shooting-mp-jo-cox-8207285

Fact remains, the UK has had 7 massacres since 1984. The US had 7 between Saturday and Tuesday.
September Quiz - 2ndImage
October Contest - 2ndImage
Official most likely to become the new Kim Kardashian - Image#Betterthanyou

The Divine Potato
The All Powerful FWGER

Postby The Divine Potato » 18 Jun 2016, 13:44

Flobalob wrote:
Shadow00 wrote:http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/birstall-shooting-mp-jo-cox-8207285

Fact remains, the UK has had 7 massacres since 1984. The US had 7 between Saturday and Tuesday.

This

Return to “Serious Discussion”