Sugar Daddy Relationships

Talk about serious issues here!
Dr Frook
FWG Mod

Sugar Daddy Relationships

Postby Dr Frook » 09 Sep 2016, 20:41

I found this interesting

Almost 200,000 Australians are involved in 'sugar relationships', in which men pay mostly young women large sums of money for companionship and intimacy. But are these arrangements part of the prostitution economy, as has been suggested, or as one 'sugar daddy' insists, an act of kindness just like volunteering at the soup kitchen?

Dorian* admits that he pays a lot more to be a "sugar daddy" to various "sugar babies" — to give younger women extravagant gifts in exchange for their company — than he would if he frequented his local brothel.

The Sydney-based business consultant has given one woman a $7,000 motorbike. That relationship lasted two months after, he says. "We just stopped talking gradually, both drifted our own ways," he said.

On average, Dorian, who is "under 40" and unmarried, says he spends about $5,000 in gifts per month on each woman.

He has met all five of them, whom he has dated at different times in the last seven months, through Seeking Arrangement, a dating website that bills itself as a place for sugar daddies ("successful men") to meet "sugar babies" ("attractive people looking for the finer things in life"). Older, male, work clients introduced him to the website.

Unlike a conventional dating website, Seeking Arrangement connects men and women who agree up front to pay younger, attractive men and women for companionship, or as the website puts it: "sugar babies are an expense that must be accounted for".

The overwhelming majority of relationships are made up of older men paying to see younger women.

Among the 193,000 Australian members of Seeking Arrangement, men make up about 90 per cent of the "successful" people paying for companionship, and women make up about 89 per cent of the sugar babies.

'Sugar daddies' in the mainstream

The concept of a "sugar daddy" may be nothing new — some think the term might stem from the 1908 marriage between Adolph Spreckels, an American heir to a sugar fortune, with a woman 24 years his junior. His wife called him "sugar daddy".

What is new, however, is that these types of relationships, while once something widely made fun of, have gone mainstream and global.

Once upon a time, men in relationships with sugar babies were a target for ridicule, as in the 1927 silent Laurel and Hardy film Sugar Daddies, in which an oil tycoon struggles to escape a woman he accidentally married while drunk. He escapes by pretending to be his butler's wife.

While the data on just how many men are engaged in these relationships is hard to pin down — other sugar daddy websites contacted by the ABC declined to provide data — testimonies from sugar daddies have been popping up with regularity over the last year in such publications as The Australian Women's Weekly, Harper's Bazaar and GQ.

Seeking Arrangement has hundreds of thousands of sugar daddies signed up globally, with 57,000 in Australia alone. And it's just one of many websites like it.

Google 'sugar daddies Australia' and there are nearly 250,000 results, including the sites Sugar Daddy Meet, Sugar Daddy Australia and Australian Sugar Daddy.

'I can say and ask for exactly what I want'

So what does Dorian get out of such relationships, which he says he sought out for "companionship"?

"I don't have to be who I'm not," says Dorian. "I don't have to be: 'Oh I have to look like a kind caring gentleman.' No, I just say exactly what I want, what I'm looking for, what I am, and then someone will find it, someone will like me."

In his case, this has meant being able to ask and find a young woman to go shopping for, and model for him "a three-piece lingerie set" from a particular brand he likes.

"There's no way I would put that on OK Cupid," he says, referring to a conventional dating website. "They'd be like: 'Who is this guy?'"

Dorian said he had had sex with some of the women he had met through the website, but not all.

The BUGBLATTER BEAST HAS SPOKEN, ALL HAIL THE BLATTERER!

Dr Frook
FWG Mod

Re: Sugar Daddy Relationships

Postby Dr Frook » 10 Sep 2016, 21:28

again, no one is interested in becoming a sugar daddy?
The BUGBLATTER BEAST HAS SPOKEN, ALL HAIL THE BLATTERER!

Archangel
FWG Earl

Postby Archangel » 12 Sep 2016, 02:54

Definitely not
I can't say I was fine. I was never fine to begin with.

Lamb
I Shall Eatz You
Location: In a room watching anime, studying other stuff, and basically making others laugh.

Postby Lamb » 12 Sep 2016, 04:23

Surprised none of my relationships have been like this tbh.
I've lost my pieces.

Flobalob
FWG Mod

Postby Flobalob » 12 Sep 2016, 07:02

Dr Frook wrote:again, no one is interested in becoming a sugar daddy?

you can, no one will judge you frook..
September Quiz - 2ndImage
October Contest - 2ndImage
Official most likely to become the new Kim Kardashian - Image#Betterthanyou

Excalibur
King of the Texans!

Postby Excalibur » 18 Sep 2016, 21:03

All I got from that was....

- Frook is Australian
- Frook is a businessman
- Frook seems to be above the age of 30
- Frook might have a sugar baby? (Is that even the right term? Frook would know :P)
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Image #BestShooter #Orby#Running
Image ~ Coolest 8-)

Foopzheart
SKREEEEEEEE

Postby Foopzheart » 23 Sep 2016, 17:46

I see no issue with the concept of sugar daddy/sugar baby relationships if it's not somehow forced with some sort of debt lockdown. Both parties deserve to have an out at any point, like any other relationship. But hey, it's about choice, and people have the choice to both give people that company for their money and, in the return, others have the choice to give their money for that company. It's a transaction. It's business. I support this for the same reason I support prostitution. Consenting adults can make any sort of deal they like in their own privacy, as long as it doesn't involve breaking the law, you know? Killing each other, underhanded drug deals, etc.

We have much bigger things to worry about. Let people do their thing here.
vaguely present
SKREEE SKREEEEEE SKREEEEEEEEE

Return to “Serious Discussion”