Constitutional Convention in order?

Talk about serious issues here!
Excalibur
King of the Texans!

Constitutional Convention in order?

Postby Excalibur » 08 Dec 2016, 03:25

So my governor, Greg Abbott is trying to call for a constitutional convention!!! This hasn't happened for a really long time. Here are some of the amendments he is proposing. This could be radical? What do other Americans think?

"
Gov. Greg Abbott’s proposed amendments to the U.S. Constitution:
Prohibit Congress from regulating activity that occurs wholly within one state.
Require Congress to balance the federal budget.
Prohibit administrative agencies from creating federal law.
Prohibit administrative agencies from pre-empting state law.
Allow a two-thirds majority of the states to override a U.S. Supreme Court decision.
Require a seven-justice supermajority vote for U.S. Supreme Court decisions that invalidate a democratically enacted law.
Limit federal powers to those expressly delegated in the Constitution.
Give state officials the power to sue in federal court when federal officials overstep their bounds.
Allow a two-thirds majority of the states to override a federal law or regulation."
- http://www.mystatesman.com/news/state-- ... rR5TAKlyM/
Image #BestShooter #Orby#Running
Image ~ Coolest 8-)

Dr Frook
FWG Mod

Re: Constitutional Convention in order?

Postby Dr Frook » 15 Dec 2016, 21:09

the convention should discuss not allowing rich property magnates to stand for president...
The BUGBLATTER BEAST HAS SPOKEN, ALL HAIL THE BLATTERER!

Askmeastupidquestion
FWG Commoner

Postby Askmeastupidquestion » 17 Dec 2016, 03:55

I think the U.S. Constitution works quite well without trying to rewrite it since 1791 it has only been amended 17 times. It's hard to do, almost everyone needs to be in agreement to do it. This whole "States Rights" spew is just a GOP dog whistle so they can continue to discriminate, control, pollute and sell out without Federal oversight. The Republicans want government small enough to drown in the bathtub, or if they cant kill it they can at least keep it in your bedroom.

As for Trump and his dismantling crew, they are poised to do a great deal of damage to the agencies under Executive control, but I think he underestimates the power of bureaucracy and just how the U.S. Constitution is designed to check the power of any of the three branches of government.

Asky :?:

TheKingsHills
FWG King

Postby TheKingsHills » 18 Dec 2016, 13:16

Wouldn't a requirement for a seven-justice supermajority hinder the efficacy of the Supreme Court as a check/balance?
As for the 2/3 majority to override a federal law/regulation; in order to become federal law isn't a bill required to be ratified by 3/4 ( I can't remember the fraction used) of the states?
If so, then are state governments really so fickle as to need to have a provision to quickly remove federal law they ratified. Extending on that thought, isn't it already possible for states to override or otherwise remove federal law?
I could be mostly mistaken/misinformed, but I've been under the impression that this was the case.

Return to “Serious Discussion”