Nuclear Power - you thoughts?

Talk about serious issues here!
mmm
FWG Mod

Re: Nuclear Power - you thoughts?

Postby mmm » 18 Jun 2011, 01:11

FWG Leader wrote:
mmm wrote:I'm not going to write another book on nuclear power, but a new method that is meltdown-proof has been developed. It involves using some sort of salt, but the point is that when it goes without power, the radioactive material instantly solidifies.

that sounds interesting. Tell me more or give me a link?

I read it in a Popular Science magazine. Here's a wiki article, it's better than nothing. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Molten_salt_reactor
Image For trying.

danny
FWG Mod

Postby danny » 17 Jul 2011, 03:08

nuclear power in fission plants. meh no like. nuclear fusion, better but still dangerous. oh and also japan has some awesome innovative minds. anyone notice that japan is surrounded by ocean. ocean means currents. currents mean energy. also ocean means waves. waves also mean energy. Shouldnt they try to harness that energy? i mean there have been private endeavors in the past why not try again? and this time with more funding?
True beauty lies in the heart, so i must look like stein :D

mmm
FWG Mod

Postby mmm » 17 Jul 2011, 21:35

danny wrote:nuclear power in fission plants. meh no like. nuclear fusion, better but still dangerous. oh and also japan has some awesome innovative minds. anyone notice that japan is surrounded by ocean. ocean means currents. currents mean energy. also ocean means waves. waves also mean energy. Shouldnt they try to harness that energy? i mean there have been private endeavors in the past why not try again? and this time with more funding?

That makes sense. I'm sure hydroelectric power is a significant part of the power grid today, but if Japan were to cut back on nuclear power, then hydroelectric would be the ideal replacement.
Image For trying.

Shadowstar1922
I Shall Eatz You

Postby Shadowstar1922 » 09 Sep 2011, 11:35

Nuclear power is dangerious, hurs the enviroment. it is something that we should have never toyed with. >.>

mmm
FWG Mod

Postby mmm » 11 Sep 2011, 17:42

Shadowstar1922 wrote:Nuclear power is dangerious, hurs the enviroment. it is something that we should have never toyed with. >.>

sigh...
What about conventional energy, hmm? Conventional energy is responsible for the rapid rate of climate change. The Fukushima Daiichi nuclear plant released some radiation, yes. This also irradiated some fish and other organisms, but: the half life of the released radiation was weeks. At this point in time, the amount of radiation is much lower (although I am not sure at what point it is safe for humans) throughout the district, and there will be minimal, if any, lasting environmental effects. Unlike the Deepwater Horizon oil spill, which released an estimated 206 million gallons of oil into the ecosystem. Or the Exxon Valdez incident. Or the Torrey Canyon oil spill.

My only qualms about nuclear energy are those concerning peripheral or unstable countries. Some nations may not have the money to properly maintain the safety of nuclear power plants. Others may be ruled by unstable rulers with a penchant for nuclear weaponry.

Nuclear power is no longer the Chernobyl-esque, meltdown-prone monster that it used to be. It is just as green as solar power or other alternative forms of energy (it does not release green house gasses etc.), and (see my earlier post about molten salt reactors) is increasingly safe and efficient. Nuclear power provides a safe, clean, and developed source of energy for nations trying to ween themselves of the dependency on gasoline.
Image For trying.

prophet
FWG King

Postby prophet » 16 Sep 2011, 10:13

U.S needs to keep there nukes, i dont trust russia >.>
Image FWG BLACKBELT

My Discord ID is Artolix, if anybody wants to reconnect.

vampire hotty
FWG Ninja

Postby vampire hotty » 04 Dec 2011, 05:37

for some reason nuclear power is the topic idk why cause im learning about it in school and i agree that it has benefits such as exploding another nation we r at war with but if they do it to us then something about radiation and fallout will happen and it will cause mutated people and u can tell i wasnt paying attention that good :)

chudders
FWG Major

Postby chudders » 19 Dec 2011, 19:35

Well, solar in space is often considered the next step, but if not, oil is obviously doomed, as uranium is. However, if we start using thorium, nuclears life may expand. However, the sun will last 4.5 billion more years, where as Thorium deposits will last alot less, as our hunger for energy spirals onwards and upwards.
Chudd :ugeek:

Toady
FWG Mod

Postby Toady » 21 Dec 2011, 00:14

Well, considering the benefits of it which is it holds so much power supply for the world, it does have negative accounts. Meltdowns in plants that can cause radiation that can kill us all...Nukes have been a threat that has been caused by Nuclear Power...And a lot of everyday things are powered by nuclear power...So what if we lost it *snaps* Like that...We wouldn't be able to handle it...We would be in a candlelit age again with just light and electricity..We absolutely need Nuclear power...

Shadow00

Postby Shadow00 » 21 Dec 2011, 11:37

eagle789 wrote:Well, considering the benefits of it which is it holds so much power supply for the world, it does have negative accounts. Meltdowns in plants that can cause radiation that can kill us all...Nukes have been a threat that has been caused by Nuclear Power...And a lot of everyday things are powered by nuclear power...So what if we lost it *snaps* Like that...We wouldn't be able to handle it...We would be in a candlelit age again with just light and electricity..We absolutely need Nuclear power...

Most countries live without the use of nuclear power.
The fact is,that of 1% of the Sahara desert was covered with solar panels,then the power produced could give power to the entire world. FREE power,environment friendly.For an unlimited amount of time,aka for EVER.
But as usual that can't happen as the owner of that 1% could "switch the power off" and that wouldn't be really fun.

Return to “Serious Discussion”