Forum Tutorials

Is your brain about to explode? Discuss and give solutions to puzzle games on the FWG site or elsewhere
Boxorino
The Foxy Boxy

Forum Tutorials

Postby Boxorino » 04 May 2014, 15:37

This is a topic I'm making for all you forum goers who want to format really cool things to post here but are not quite sure how. You're free to suggest tutorials for me to do, but I'll try to upload one every week.

The first tutorial is probably one I should post later, but it's also been getting on my nerves a lot, so I am going to post it first.

Tutorial #1: Smaller Pictures

Alright, you've all seen people post really huge pictures on the forums that stretches the window and makes you scroll a bunch just to see the page numbers. It's so easy to avoid that! The solution is very simple.

Here's a scenario: You find a really boss wallpaper and you want to post it on the forums for everyone to see, but you don't want it to appear as big as it does because it'd make the forums go all wacko.

Step #1: Right click the picture and hit Search Google for this image.

Step #2: A window similar to the one below will be seen. You're going to want to click the blue hyperlink labeled Medium.

Step #3: A window similar to the one below will be seen. You can see the image sizes in the bottom left hand corner. The first number is width and the second is height (width x height). Choose a picture with a small width, no more than 500 pixels. If you don't see a picture with a width of 500 or less, repeat Step #2, except click Small instead of Medium.

Step #4: Most of you should know what to do from here. You click your picture, hit View Image, copy the URL of the picture, then return to the forums. A tutorial on Uploading Images will be added here later if it is requested.

Step #5: We're not quite done yet! You wanted share a wallpaper with people. In order to link it to them, you post your picture in the format below.
[url=wallpaper url][img]smallerimageofwallpaperurl[/img][/url]
People will be able to left click it to open up the picture right in that tab. If you want to open it in another tab, simply right click it and click Open image in new tab.
Your result is something like this.

Also, of course, if you just find a funny meme or something that's really big, you don't have to link anyone to the larger one if you don't want to.

And now you're done! Now that wasn't so hard, was it? If you want a little practice, feel free to upload pictures here.

Love,
~ Boxy

**EDIT** I understand that this tutorial doesn't really help mobile users, but I will eventually upload a tutorial like this one for those people.
that was dramatic. still ready 2 die tho!

Boxorino
The Foxy Boxy

Re: A Collection of Tutorials

Postby Boxorino » 06 May 2014, 14:25

Tutorial #3: Taking and Uploading Screenshots

This tutorial is part two of Ex's request. He wants me to show people how to take screen shots of their comments.

Here's a scenario: You make a lot of comments on FWG and you want to show them to Ex to redeem your sweet prizes.

Step #1: Go to this website and click the appropriate button that corresponds with what kind of platform/device you have.

Step #2: Download the program and run it. You can find a tutorial on how to take screenshots at the site linked.

Step #3: Once you take a few screen shots and get used to using the program, go to a game you commented on and get a screen shot of your comment. Be sure to upload the screen shot and open up the picture in a new tab. You want to copy the url of the picture opened in the new tab, not of the website where the picture is uploaded to.

Step #4: Post you picture on this topic with the following code.
[url=game url][img]screenshoturl[/img][/url]
Posting what game the comment is on will allow Ex to verify that the comment actually exists.

Step #5: Once you Preview your submission and deem it worthy to be seen by everyone, hit Submit and your submission will be uploaded. I'd give you an example of this, but I don't want to just have one comment to upload.

And now you're done! Just as a note, the CMs want people to comment on games because it really helps expand the community. And now with the prize thing, you're not only assisting to expand the community, you're getting sweet prizes while you're at it.

Comment comment comment!

Love,

~ Boxy

Boxorino
The Foxy Boxy

Postby Boxorino » 10 May 2014, 02:42

Basic Tutorial #1: Posting Videos

Per Percyception's request, I am going to show all of you how to upload videos to the forums! Part 1 is for computer users and Part 2 is for mobile users.

Here's a scenario: You find some really sweet jams you wanna share on the forums.

Part 1: Computer Users

Step #1: Select the video URL and click Copy.
Make sure there's no odd stuff on the end of the url, for example:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Xqcguy ... Xqcguy1YjI
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Xqcguy ... u.be&t=50s

Step #2: Open up a new topic on the forums or a past one and click the buttom labeled youtube located in between Font color and youtube2.

Step #3: Paste the url in between the code as seen below. Be sure to take out the s in https://

Step #4: Hit submit and you're done! Now people can see the sweet jams you listen to.

That was pretty easy! I'll have to borrow my mom's tablet in order to get screen shots for the second part of this tutorial. Don't forget, you guys are free to try things out in reply to this topic.

Love,

~ Boxy

Boxorino
The Foxy Boxy

Postby Boxorino » 31 May 2014, 03:49

Basic Tutorial #1: Posting Videos

Per Percyception's request, I am finally going to post part two of this tutorial!

Here's a scenario: You find some really sweet jams you wanna share on the forums.

Part 2: Mobile Users

Step #1: Select the video title and tap Copy.

Step #2: Open up a new tab to Google and tap paste after clicking the Search Bar. Then, search for the video and hold down on the link that will take you to the video until a window pops up. Finally, tap the button that says Copy link URL.

Step #3: Open up the topic you want to post on and and tap Post Reply. Finally, tap the youtube button and paste the url in between the code as seen below. Be sure to take out the s in https://.

Step #4: Tap submit and you're done! Now people can see the sweet jams you listen to.

This doesn't work JUST for sweet jams. You can post whatever you want!

Not too hard, right my lovelies? Have fun posting videos!!

Love,

~ Boxy

Boxorino
The Foxy Boxy

Postby Boxorino » 31 May 2014, 15:14

So before I could reply to it, one of the things I noticed in the bullying topic was that people wanted an ignore button. Well guess what? There is one. And I'm going to show you all how to find it.

Here's a scenario: An annoying little dingus is constantly ragging on you for reasons unknown and you wish to put a stop to it.

Tutorial #4: Ignoring People on the Forums

Step #1: Open up the User Control Panel then click open the Private Messaging tab. Then, click the tab to the bottom left that says Rules, folders & settings.

Step #2: Once opened, your screen will appear similar to the one below. I already have a lot of rules set, so that's what all the blurred stuff is. The section of the screen titled ADD NEW RULE is the one you care about right now.

Step #3: Click the box next to If: and select Subject then Next.

Step #4: Click the box below the previous one and select is then Next.

Step #5: Click the box below the previous one and type in the name of the user you wish to ignore then click Next.

Step #6:Finally, select the last box and select Delete message then select Add rule.

Step #7: Congratulations! You now have successfully blocked that annoying little dingus. You didn't only block their PMs, you also blocked any post on the forums that they made and you cannot see them unless you click Display this post. OR if someone replies to their post.

I hope that was helpful to some of you! It's always good to get the annoying little dingus out of your life.

Love,

~Boxy

Boxorino
The Foxy Boxy

Postby Boxorino » 21 Jul 2014, 01:41

Tutorial #5: Uploading Images and Posting Them on the Forums

Here's a scenario: You just snapped the hottest selfie of the year and you wanna share it on the Pictures of Yourself topic.

Step #1: Make sure your picture is saved on your computer and make sure you know where it's saved. You have multiple options of where to upload your picture, but my favourite is Photobucket, so for this tutorial, we're going to be using Photobucket.

Step #2: Go to the Photobucket home page (linked above) and make an account and/or sign in. From there, click the button at the top of the webpage that says Upload.

Step #3: From the upload page, you can open the file location on your computer and click and drag into the spot where it says to or click the blue button in the center and find the picture you want to upload and select it for uploading.
OR

Step #4: Once it's uploaded, name it and open it up. On the page it's posted, you can either right click it and upload it to the forums the way it is or you can edit it a little before uploading. I need to make my picture a bit smaller before I upload it to the forums. Your picture should be no more than 500 pixels in width.
OR
After clicking Resize...
Then click Apply and Save. Check the box under Save that says Replace Original if you don't care for the unedited version of your picture.

Step #5: Copy the url of your picture and open up the topic you're going to post on. Click the button that says Post Reply and then click the button that says [Img]. Paste your link inbetween the []'s, add a caption below, click Submit and you're done!

So that's that! I hope that was helpful to some of you, maybe. The process, I believe, is still the same on mobile, it's just on the Photobucket app. But if it's not, then I'll make a tutorial for that too in the future.

Love,

~Boxy

Boxorino
The Foxy Boxy

Postby Boxorino » 05 Aug 2014, 15:32

Tutorial #6: Ignoring People's Posts

Okay, so I realize now that the tutorial for Ignoring People on the Forums only blocked you from getting their PMs... So now I'll make a tutorial on how to not see what people post!

Here's a scenario: A certain user (whom I will not name) has been getting on your nerves a lot lately on the forums and you don't want to deal with all the idiotic posts they've been making.

Step #1: Go to that person's profile and click Add foe.

Step #2: Click Yes when you get to the confirm page.

That's it, that's all it takes. You're done.

Well that was really simple!! I hope this helps most of you!!

Love,

~Boxy

Boxorino
The Foxy Boxy

Postby Boxorino » 06 Dec 2014, 15:51

BBCODE

turns out, there's already a tutorial on all the BBCodes on the forums!

So, when you go to reply to a topic, the fist thing you see underneath the smilies says BBCode is ON. You're going to want to click that!

After clicking it, it should take you to a page that looks like the one below.

By clicking on any link seen in the table of contents, you will be redirected to that part of the article that talks about that.

I hope you enjoy your new knowledge!

If any of the tutorials there get confusing for you, let me know and I'll make you one! I'd be happy to not feel so obsolete anymore.

~ Boxy.

Return to “Walkthrus”